Moparts

putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4

Posted By: toplescuda

putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4 - 04/14/11 04:07 AM

ok i got all the parts to put rear disc brakes on the challenger the caliper bracket needs welded on but before that happens i need to know wich way to take the slack out of the caliper has 2 stainless allen head pins the caliper can slid across on. Do i shove the piston up against the rotor or the back all the way up against the rotor and let piston come out and take slack out?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4 - 04/14/11 06:30 AM

when I did a disc conversion on a 9 1/4 I put a piece of cereal box cardboard between the pads and the rotor. This allows a small space to install new pads in the future. I then used compressed air to clamp and basicly center everything... remember on a 8 3/4 there is a inner seal that will need to be removed before welding....

Re: putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4 - 04/14/11 07:41 AM

rotors are new caliper is new,but there is at least 1/4 inch gap /slack dont have a way of useing compressed air
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4 - 04/14/11 10:36 AM

the caliper with the pads loaded into it, should be centered over the rotor with equal gaps front and rear between the pad's surface and the rotor's surface, I would locate/shim the caliper to position in it's static mode, do not charge the caliper

Re: putting the disc brakes on the 8 3/4 - 04/14/11 11:28 AM

so your saying to put the pins halfway through travel also then set to centered on rotor? ralph
© 2024 Moparts Forums