Moparts

Powermaster Alternator Question...

Posted By: plysat

Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 01:53 AM

I'm planning on replacing the stock alternator in my '68 Satellite with a powermaster pn175191, and modifying the charging system wiring as seen here:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~raffica/electrical.htm

Seems pretty straightforward, but my question concerns the alernator. While it looks like the it should just bolt right in, I noticed in the specs that it's internally regulated. I assume that means I can't just wire it up to the stock harness? Do I need to bypass the stock regulator? and if so... How? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: ahy

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 02:17 AM

If its single wire, the voltage regulator and regulator wires won't be needed and can be removed. Note most Powermaster alternators are available in both internally regulated one wire and externally regulated 3 wire.

In general external regulation is better. If that pn is a conventional Mopar alternator case rated 75 A Bouchillon and maybe Mancini will have the conventional externally regulated version.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

In general external regulation is better.

What Ahy said.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 04:07 AM

the internal regulator on pn175191 is fairly non thruth. They are MOUNTED ON regulators where they are not switched on from ign switch, really from stator signa ( that's what makes them posible to be ONE WIRE ), but brushes actually wired the same than stock, so you can live with it or remove and wire it like stock lates units

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 04:11 AM

I never have seen personally those, but by pics and allways show this kind of reg mounted on chassis:

thats what makes them to work like being ONE WIRE
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 04:43 AM

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnod7018.aspx

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 02:30 PM

yeap thats it, I'm just only shown to let him know what are we talking about. Not saying is the same piece ( what mostly sure it is ) but sure same kind

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 08:11 PM

Thanks guys... now I'm totally confused lol Guess I gotta recheck what's in there now. 1 wire or 3 wire... It's the stock alternator but it's been converted to electronic ignition... not sure if that matters. And thanks for the A Bouchillon link... seems like a better deal than the pm unit. I'll be back with more inane questions once I poke around a bit more.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 08:58 PM

My Powermaster 120amp was a single wire. I ran an 8gauge wire from the pole of the alternator to the battery. Took 1400rpm to actually turn it on similar to a GM alternator. The only thing to watch out for is the back post where the 8 gauge cable fits on. I would stomp on it from a red light and the belt would clench causing the alternator to flex and ground out on my cylinder head. Removing the three housing studs and rotating the assembly 90 degrees solved it.

I dont have the car anymore. I run a Delco Remy on my 440. Two wires. Cheaper too
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/14/11 09:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys... now I'm totally confused lol

Oh It'll get worse . Many options but I'd consider a 78 amp stock type alt from iirc a late 80's m body and clean EVERY connection/terminal in the vehicle, KEEPING the ammeter and Running 2 wires thru the bulkhead for the main in/out circuits "Nacho's parallel bypass" and an elecronic VR. "Mrrandy" on here sells one for $27 to your door that looks OE w a black cover but has electronic guts and your parts house has a wells VR706 that fits/is electronic but doesn't look OE but your adding non original stuff anyhow. This dual field terminal alt/electronic reg conversion would only need an extra wire or 2 to fit your '68. #1 keep the ammeter needle as close to 12 o'clock as possible in other words no high amp draw thru the bulkhead esp if you dont do the bulkhead parallel bypass

Re: Powermaster Alternator Question... - 04/15/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys... now I'm totally confused lol

Oh It'll get worse .

Great! Looking forward to it. Thanks again...
© 2024 Moparts Forums