Moparts

Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint?

Posted By: That AMC Guy

Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 07:53 PM

Still struggling to remove these very faint stains from the paint of my Javelin. They're mostly on the fenders and roof but oddly, not on the hood. They look like water stains but might be River Moth excrement (we get TONS of those buggers around in the summer).

I recently bought a buffer and tried Meguires Fine cut polish. It helped a little and certainly made the paint look better, but if you look into the reflections on the car, I can still see the stains.

Should I step up to a medium cut and try again? The car was redone in base/clear about 10 years ago.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 08:52 PM

Try Mequires medium cut cleaner wax. Took a lot over spray off my car with little effort.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 09:04 PM

clay bar. make sure you get the fine cut one and a quality one as well.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 09:16 PM

Wetsand and rebuff a small spot.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 09:17 PM

turtle wax Bug and tar remover Canadian tire or most auto stores.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/...2BRemover.jsp?l

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,11

meguir's has some too but I can only personally speak for the turtle was helps with rubber on quarters too
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10716
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/13/11 11:10 PM

Its etched into the paint. You will probably need to compound and or wet sand. Im using Mequaires 205 and 105, Use the compound with a yellow pad @ 1400 rpms, The polish with a yellow pad @ 1200s, then with a black pad @ 900 rpms.

Top the paint off with a good sealant then at least 24hrs after removing the sealant wax it.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/14/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

Its etched into the paint. You will probably need to compound and or wet sand.

I agree
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/14/11 06:57 AM

Quote:

Its etched into the paint. You will probably need to compound and or wet sand. Im using Mequaires 205 and 105, Use the compound with a yellow pad @ 1400 rpms, The polish with a yellow pad @ 1200s, then with a black pad @ 900 rpms.

Does speed matter that much? My buffer doesn't have an adjustable speed. It does 3,200 rpm unloaded. I'll admit, I'm a real pansy when it comes to wet-sanding. I've never done it before and I'm really afraid to do it.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Best way to remove bug poop/water stains from paint? - 04/14/11 12:03 PM

Yes speed matters. To much speed and compound is a ruined paint job waiting to happen. Find a good detail or body shop.
© 2024 Moparts Forums