Moparts

Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft

Posted By: 1968RR

Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/12/11 06:26 PM

Last week I noticed a brief squeaking/squealing sound when I put my truck in drive (the truck is a 2002 3.7L automatic Ram). It lasted only a couple of seconds and then went away. The sound definitely wasn't coming from the engine, and sounded as if it was coming from the drive shaft or the transmission. I didn't hear it when I put my truck in reverse, but it is only in reverse for a very short amount of time. Over the last week I've heard it about 3 or 4 more times, always when the truck first starts moving. Any ideas about where to start trying to check? U-joints, maybe?
The truck is coming up on 150,000 miles.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/12/11 06:42 PM

Quote:

Last week I noticed a brief squeaking/squealing sound when I put my truck in drive (the truck is a 2002 3.7L automatic Ram). It lasted only a couple of seconds and then went away. The sound definitely wasn't coming from the engine, and sounded as if it was coming from the drive shaft or the transmission. I didn't hear it when I put my truck in reverse, but it is only in reverse for a very short amount of time. Over the last week I've heard it about 3 or 4 more times, always when the truck first starts moving. Any ideas about where to start trying to check? U-joints, maybe?

Most likely the U-joints drying out.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/12/11 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most likely the U-joints drying out.

Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/13/11 12:54 AM

if they are that dry, the roller bearings inside are turning to dust. Should be on the top of your fix it list.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/13/11 02:32 AM

seems the rear goes first for some reason. by the time you can hear the squeak, it's gone.
Posted By: 383'D

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/13/11 03:13 AM

When mine was squeeking , it turned out to be the centering ball . Its between the ujoints where the driveshaft and transmission yoke couple together.Look on rockauto under precision part#617.
Posted By: 383'D

Re: Ram 1500: squeaking noise from trans or dirve shaft - 04/13/11 03:18 AM

Mine is a 1998 1500. Yours may be differnt
© 2024 Moparts Forums