Moparts

LCA/Pivot question??...

Posted By: moparrulzzz

LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/12/11 02:47 AM

I was getting my parts ready to put the front suspension on this weekend and noticed that my pivot pin was not all the way in like the other LCA.
I need verification that the pin should be pressed all the way to the collar. See pics..
Thnx Chuck

Posted By: BDW

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/12/11 03:08 AM

Absolutely needs fixing. When I did mine, they pressed pin into bushing, then pressed into LCA.

Check step 14

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tipstricks/155_0306_control_arms/index2.html
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/12/11 05:08 AM

Bottom pic is correct. The top pic shows the inner sleeve on the bushing has been pressed out the back side..........That bushing needs to be replaced properly.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/12/11 05:12 AM

Quote:

Bottom pic is correct. The top pic shows the inner sleeve on the bushing has been pressed out the back side..........That bushing needs to be replaced properly.

I agree with Jim....

The magazine article referenced above does show the bushing fully installed & it still exposes the stepped shoulder...
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/12/11 10:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with Jim....

The magazine article referenced above does show the bushing fully installed & it still exposes the stepped shoulder...

Totally agree. That pin is stepped and the bottom pic is right. I've done at least 4 sets and they all looked like the bottom pic when done. Pressed pin into bushing then pin/bushing assembly into LCA.

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 02:28 AM

Quote:

Ok so the top pic the pin/inner sleeve has been pressed to far?
If the inner sleeve has been pressed thru as well you can't press it back it needs to be replaced?

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 02:37 AM

Is there a easier way to remove the bushings besides melting the rubber and a air chisel?
Any suggestions?
Thnx
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 04:21 AM

Press out the pin again and use a screwdriver to pry the rubber out. Then weld a washer to inside of the outer sleeve and press it out. Open the jaws of a vise to about 2/3 the size of the inner sleeve. Take a 3lb sledge and hit the inner sleeve against the vise jaws while rotating the pin. After several blows the sleeve will slide off.
Posted By: Dons Dart

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 06:42 PM

I cant believe I saw that another idiot in the world.I took my lowers in to have the bushings pressed in and even gave the idiot paper instructions,he still pressed the same to far in.Took my new bushings witch the idiot had to pay for and had the job done right.good luck.
Posted By: 65Frank

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 07:06 PM

I know it might seem like overkill, but I bought a $199 Harbor Freight 20-ton press that I've used not only for LCAs but rear axle bearings and trans bearings. To me it's money well spent to avoid this kind of aggravation.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/13/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

I know it might seem like overkill, but I bought a $199 Harbor Freight 20-ton press that I've used not only for LCAs but rear axle bearings and trans bearings. To me it's money well spent to avoid this kind of aggravation.

I got a $99 12 ton press back in 1987. Have done countless trans, axle and suspension bushings and bearings for myself and friends. Not to mention it will hold parts for you while you torch or beat on them better than your biggest friend can. Great investment.

Re: LCA/Pivot question??... - 04/14/11 03:28 AM

Thnx guys, getting a press is in the future!!
I sure hope the welded washer tip works, that would make things alot easier!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums