Moparts

Problem with oil breather grommet hole size

Posted By: Moparmal

Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/11/11 10:51 AM

I ahve just finished paining up my M/T valve covers - only to discover thath the std oil breather rubber grommet is way too small for the existing hole.

The grommet outside diameter is 1.22 inches - but the valve cover hole is 1.5" needing something bigger than 1.5 to seat on the flange.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get the correct size breather grommet?

Posted By: radar

Re: Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/11/11 03:26 PM

I ended up using a rubber grommet and a breather insert for an early '70s ford. I think it might have been something like a 71 tbird 429 or something. It looks kind of like a car cigar lighter- round metal case that pushes into the bigger hole.

I asked around on here and looked all over and bought the wrong stuff a few times first. Search my name for the thread.

Rdr
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/11/11 04:15 PM

Local parts store in the Dorman Help section.
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/11/11 04:43 PM

All those valve covers tend to have aftermarket or 'universal' size holes. Check the aftermarket section of your local parts store (Autozone, Advanced, O'Reilly's, whatever) and you should see them selling the grommets. Cheap too.

Good Luck,
CC.

Re: Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/11/11 11:23 PM

Unfortunately what you guys have as "factory", we never got "down under"

I'll check Rock Auto and see what they list.

Cheers

MM

Re: Problem with oil breather grommet hole size - 04/12/11 11:48 AM

Success - Got some blanking grommets from a local supplier and punched the required holes through them.

© 2024 Moparts Forums