Moparts

Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400?

Posted By: DusterKrazy

Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 03:35 AM

I would like to swap my intake for an Edelbrock Performer 383. What all do I need? Can I reuse my intake valley pan or do I need to get a new intake valley pan plus a set of gaskets??
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 03:44 AM

you can use the old pan unless its cracked , be careful in removing it and it should be ok. the factory bolts should work too. the gaskets might or might not be needed, if youve had the heads milled , the thick paper gaskets might not work, then you could use just the pan and sealer, or maybe a real thin paper gasket. ive had this problem before on an engine i dont know anything about and its trial and error as to how thick a gasket i could use .
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 03:55 AM

The heads have never been milled. So I could use the valley pan and rtv sealer if the pan is in good shape?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 10:16 AM

I would say NO on the REuse ...uNless you are using the same-exact total combo(heads/intake/block). And if that was the case .. it would be BESTest to use a gasket-spray on both sides of the used VP.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 11:36 AM

R&R the intake,reuse the vally pan

swaping on a new intake,replace the valley pan for a new seal with the intake

rtv the coners and end seals and copper spray on the runner ports

Posted By: therocks

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 12:44 PM

Ive reused them in the past.But at 20 bucks they are cheap.I always just use the tin.A dab of RTV in the 4 corners as said where it meets the heads and I use a thin strip where it sits on the block where the hold downs go.Just remember to not over tighten.About 25 ft pounds is good and use a criss cross pattern.Rocky
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 08:08 PM

Personally, I don't like to reuse the VP, but in the event I do, it gets new paper gaskets (4) and all sides of those gaskets get a sealer like Indian Head Shellac.

Otherwise, the whole deal is prone to a vacuum leak.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 08:17 PM

Other than being lighter, I don't think the regular performer 383 is much better than stock.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Changing to an aluminum intake on my 400? - 04/11/11 10:07 PM

I had a Performer on my low deck on and off twice with the same valley pan, finally put on a Performer RPM...still the same valley pan with no issues. Been on for a couple years now
© 2024 Moparts Forums