Moparts

Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..??

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/10/11 10:23 PM

Guys,
My trusty ol' grease gun just did something very weird. Has anyone had the tip stuck on the car?.....

FIRST: I attached the tip to a standard greasenipple, extended the pump handle and the handle LOCKED in the "open" position. Not budging. No "give" in it either, no softness or squishy feel. Like it's mechanically overextended?

THEN: I went to remove the tip and it's totally STUCK on the greasenipple. Can't get it off. Tried prying it off between needlenosed pliers wedged under the tip. No dice.

I pressed the pressure relief button and the little ballvalve on the cartridge fitting. Nothing. I removed the cartridge, there's plenty of grease left.

The handle remains extended and the tip remains stuck.
Any ideas?

Thanks, -Art
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/10/11 10:30 PM

Is there enough room to get a wrench on the zerk?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/10/11 10:33 PM

Give it a wack with a hammer or pry it up with a screwdriver.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/10/11 11:29 PM

Sounds like the grease nipple is plugges solid and pressure is holding the gun tip on and locking the handle. I'd unscrew the small tube from the gun to nipple - that may relieve it then try to unscrew the zerk as suggested above.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/10/11 11:30 PM

Usually the tip is threaded and has a knurled grip on it. By turning the tip, you can loosen or tighten the fit on the zirk fitting. Sometimes the tip can turn unintentionally tighter or looser.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Grease gun malfunction - tip stuck on car. What the..?? - 04/11/11 12:16 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll see what works and let ya know!
-Art
© 2024 Moparts Forums