Moparts

Removing stuck pistons/rods

Posted By: Lifsgrt

Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/09/11 10:47 PM

What is the best way to remove pistons and rods from an engine that is seized from sitting? I have a 383 that I want to tear down but save the rods for possible future use. Is there a way to do this without damaging the rods? Thanks.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/09/11 10:50 PM

soak the piston holes with brake fluid... KRIOL or Marvel Mystery oil works well to but is more expensive...
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/09/11 10:58 PM

Is the crank in there too ?

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/09/11 11:07 PM

Yes, crank still installed. Last time I tried this on an engine I banged up a couple of rods and nicked the crank. Is there a way to break the pistons to release the pins without hurting the block or rods?

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/09/11 11:10 PM

So you are not saving the crank?

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/10/11 01:59 AM

I must be a terrible communicator. I have a 383 with the pistons stuck on the rods, in the cylinders, crank is still installed. I'll call it a shortblock. I want to tear the engine down while saving the rods, crank, and block. Last time I tried this on a 440, the pins were seized in the pistons, and the rods wouldn't pivot on the pins, which will not allow the piston to be pushed/driven up into the cylinders. I bent up a couple of rods and nicked the crank. Thought maybe someone on here would have the answer, short of hot-wrenching the rods. Anyone?? Bueller?? Thanks

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/10/11 02:02 AM

Just clarify what choo want .....

Do you have an engine stand that will rotate ?
Posted By: mike s

Re: Removing stuck pistons/rods - 04/10/11 02:41 AM

KRIOL will do the trick spray the top and left it soak in.Then do it from the bottom.Couple times a day for a few days.Be patient.A few hits with a deadblow hammer on the pistons should finish loosening them.You may need to sleeve a few holes if they are rusted too bad.
© 2024 Moparts Forums