Moparts

67 Dart strut rod question

Posted By: moparmandjh

67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 09:32 AM

My nephew is rebuilding the front suspension on his 67 Dart. One of his strut rods is bent approximately 1/8-1/4 inch. You can barely see it until you roll it on a flat surface. How critical is it that they are perfectly straight?
Doc
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 01:13 PM

bend it back straight WO putting any nicks into it

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 01:18 PM

That sounds fun.
Doc
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 01:59 PM

Doc, make him do it (you supervise)
Posted By: therocks

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 02:14 PM

Heat it and strighten it.We did one on my kids Express truck which is a lot heavier than a Darts.Dont worry about nicking it.Its not a Tbar.They basically just keep the lowerA arm in place.If bent real bad it could move caster a bit.They also make adjustables as well as solid ones aftermarket.Rocky
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

Heat it and strighten it.We did one on my kids Express truck which is a lot heavier than a Darts.Dont worry about nicking it.Its not a Tbar.They basically just keep the lowerA arm in place.If bent real bad it could move caster a bit.They also make adjustables as well as solid ones aftermarket.Rocky

Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/09/11 03:31 PM

If you have to roll it on a flat to be able to see it, I say LEAVE IT alone.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/10/11 01:04 PM

Quote:

Heat it and strighten it.

Heat on a suspension piece? No way.

Find someone with a press or play it safe and replace it.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/10/11 01:13 PM

Quite a few of the strut rods were manufactured with a slight "dog leg" at the ends. The dogleg doesn't seem to hurt anything. Is this causing the wobble or is the "straight part" of the shaft bent?

Re: 67 Dart strut rod question - 04/10/11 07:04 PM

It has a slight dog leg at one end. I think someone put a jack under it and lifted the nose. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
Doc
© 2024 Moparts Forums