Moparts

What did I do wrong on my ministarter - NOTHING! Fixed.

Posted By: Commando1

What did I do wrong on my ministarter - NOTHING! Fixed. - 04/07/11 08:42 PM

Installed a new mini starter from Mancini onto my 440.
I ground away the necessary material to make it fit.
Hit the ignition and the starter spins but the Bendix drive is not engaging the starter ring.

What am I not doing correctly? Out of a gazillion starters this is my first mini. Thanks.

And while we're on the subject, anybody have a pic of where they had to grind away material?
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 08:44 PM

Tap it? Maybe the bendix is stuck...Who knows how long it has been sitting on a shelf

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 08:45 PM

Quote:

Tap it? Maybe the bendix is stuck...Who knows how long it has been sitting on a shelf

First thing I did was to persuade it with my BFH.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 09:20 PM

That's why I use the stock boat anchor starters on everything.....plus they sound better than those new ones
Posted By: 64Post

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 09:30 PM

Quote:

No, you installed a 'returned for defect' starter that sat on the shelf from Mancini...
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 09:38 PM

I never had to grind away material, I just remove the pos cable lug extender (or whatever it's called), there's another lug to attach to underneath.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, you installed a 'returned for defect' starter that sat on the shelf from Mancini...

And now that he ground on it he owns it ... $$$$
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 10:38 PM

I have seen some of them where the starter gets dropped and the snout hits the concrete, and jams it out of line, and the bendix just binds, and cant come out. If thats the case, I sometimes could un jam it, but usually the case it distorted. Are you sure its grounded properly? My demon had fresh paint all over, and the starter wouldnt spin because lack of ground. I cleaned the paint off the bell housing, and even ran its own ground strap, and it workes flawlessly.

Kasey
Posted By: pishta

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 10:52 PM

Fromn what I have heard and read, there are different sizes of these guys that fit certain motors. I know that sounds wrong, but somewhere I read that "THIS IS THE ONE THAT FITS B/RB" yadda yadda. There are different ratings on them too, some have longer windings for more torque. Bummer, does the bendix drive shoot out? Certain its in the counterbore of the trans? Yikes!

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I learned to always bench test a starter before installing. Doesn't help if there is a fitment issue, though.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:30 PM

Quote:

I never had to grind away material, I just remove the pos cable lug extender (or whatever it's called), there's another lug to attach to underneath.

I had to grind mine down from 440 Source. The extension that came on it had to be removed and part of the base had to be shaved down. I covered the mess in electrical tape and heat sink because I went down too deep. Mine never missed a beat from the get go....I was probably a lucky one
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:37 PM

That sucks, try loosing the bolts just a little and see if it works. Maybe gently tap on it when it's a little loose. Hopefully it'll free up.

The last couple starters I have bought were from the parts store for like a 90 dakota and I don't remember grinding on the starter. Got got rid of the big connector/90 degree thing on the electric connections. Otherwise they fit and have worked great for years now, one of them are at least 10 years old. Never got that kinda of service out of original starters, not me anyway.
Posted By: roe

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:43 PM

On mine I removed the black "adapter" where the wires connect. As stated, there is a second place under that adapter where the factory wires can also connect to.

I ground on the tip of the nose cone. And I also ground on the case where it faces the flexplate once mounted. I was using an aftermarket flexplate that allowed me to use an unweighted 318 torque converter with a 360. That part of the case was touching the flexplate and would not let the starter mount correctly. When I hit the key, you heard a lot of spinning but the bendix drive could not extend because of the mis alignment. My grinding took care of that. maybe something to look at on yours. I didnt see exactly what was happening with mine until I had someone crank the car while I was under it watching the starter.

roe
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:47 PM

I don't know why Mancini and others say one mini-starter is for a big block, the other small block, maybe they think people are that stupid? I am a small block person myself, and I just went and got one at O'Reillys..before I put it in, My buddy told me he ordered the "Big Block" one from Mancini and asked if i could help install it(He's not so much mechanically inclined)

I go over there and thought I'd take mine along for comparison, I knew you had to grind away a SB starter to fit and I wanted to see what was different.

The body was the exact same on the Mancini "Big Block" and my O'Reilly factory unit. I ground away at different spots where it snugs against that boss on the block as carefully as I could for about 2 hours. Each little bit I buzzed it and check fit, buzz, check fit.. I didn't want to get carried away. I made sure that i had a slight bit of play in the unattached starter before i bolted it in. So I wouldn't bind it.

If you guys who have your BB motors out want to use one of these things, My suggestion is take a little off the block in that looked nook. Some have more there than others. It'd just be better than grinding on starters that you may not be able to get a core exchange on.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/07/11 11:47 PM

Quote:

That sucks, try loosing the bolts just a little and see if it works. Maybe gently tap on it when it's a little loose. Hopefully it'll free up.

The last couple starters I have bought were from the parts store for like a 90 dakota and I don't remember grinding on the starter. Got got rid of the big connector/90 degree thing on the electric connections. Otherwise they fit and have worked great for years now, one of them are at least 10 years old. Never got that kinda of service out of original starters, not me anyway.

Yeah, I got mine from autozone for like $118 with a lifetime warranty. I asked for one for a '90 Dakota with a V6. If I had a stock flexplate I dont think I would have needed to grind anything either. Because once I got it in, I realized the nose cone never needed grinding in the first place, just the case where it was hitting my flexplate that was much bigger than a stock one
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 01:18 AM

Quote:

That's all I had to do on mine also, mounted to a 360 with a B&M flex plate, no grinding anywhere. Pulled my mini out of a 90's full size van that was already up on blocks at the pick & pull.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 01:20 AM

Quote:

I ground away the necessary material to make it fit.
Hit the ignition and the starter spins but the Bendix drive is not engaging the starter ring.

What am I not doing correctly? Out of a gazillion starters this is my first mini. Thanks.

And while we're on the subject, anybody have a pic of where they had to grind away material?

Do you have a 130 tooth flywheel in a 143 tooth bell???
The way a Denso style starter operates is when the coil surrounding the plunger is energized it pulls the contact ring to the contacts while pushing the drive forward.So if the motor is spinning then the drive is extended.In the hundreds of Denso starters I have worked on in the 28 years of import car world I have yet to see a starter engage and run without the drive extending to contact the ring gear

Gus

Attached picture 6573888-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 01:35 AM

14$ from the u-pull it

came on a 96 v-6 fit right on the 440,removed the bolt on lug,went right to studs out of starter

used a 93 5.2 mini on the 318 in my 85 truck

I have done at least 25 swaps to SB&BB never had to grind on any of them to fit

all for 14$ used at the u-pull,had one start clicking and would not spin it over...65$ rebuild and 3 yrs later still spiining the 318 over

that stud looks closer than it is in the pic,it has clearance in the cup of the core plug

one place on the block by the small bolts in the stater is the only place I could see that might need a little grinding,but every one I have done had clearance

the mini alt even went on my 440 in the sig pic with stock non a/c brackets and 2 stock power steering pump belts

Attached picture 6573922-ministarter.jpg

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 04:59 AM

This is not sounding too good to me, especially the part about yours not needing any grinding to fit. Yah, I'm p.o.'d now that 'own' the starter. Had to hog out part of the block which left me feeling queasy and then some shaving on the starter itself. All this bs started because my $40 Autozone rebuilt wouldn't crank when hot. So in went a late 90's truck starter from a yard. To make that fit is when all the hogging started. It wouldn't engage so it got returned thinking it was a bum unit. Rather than deal w/another junkyard unit, Iwent to AZ and got the best starter they had. Turned over slower than my cheapo AZ starter so back that went and Idecided to stop playing games and buy a brand new mini starter. Was very dissaponted that it too had interference issuues and finally it too was not engaging. So, back to the original cheapo AZ cheapo rebuilt which is where I'm at now. In 45 yrs, a starter has never given me so much bs, This is rediculous. Not going to badmouth the Mancini starter because Inever heard anything bad about them so I'm figuring it's me. But from the replies so far, I'm starting to be concerned about the Mancini unit because Inow own that sucker.
BTW it's a 130T in a 10 1/2 housing.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 06:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not necesssarily true. I bought a Mancini mini-starter and ground it until I exposed the windings trying to make it fit. Mancini took it back and gave me a credit. I bought a 440 Source mini-starter and ended up grinding a little off my block to make it fit.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 07:04 AM

This is odd. I have never had to modify any starter to fit any Mopar. I have had mini style stock replacement units, aftermarket higher torque units and standard OEM ones.
I do have to remove that extender for my Charger 440 to clear the block.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 01:03 PM

This is just too weird.
"got mine from Mancini - had to grind..."
"got mine from Mancini - didn't have to grind..."
"got mine from 440S - had to grind..."
"got mine from 440S - didn't have to grind..."
"got mine from a junkyard - had to grind..."
"got mine from junkyard - didn't have to grind..."

What the .........????

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 01:44 PM

It just hit me that its a 4-speed

all mine have been auto

got a pic of where your doing this grinding at?

block? starter?
Posted By: therocks

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 03:34 PM

My 65 with 440 has a scattershield and remaned mini.No grinding and it been in at least 10 years.The kids 62 300 has a Source min and fit perfect.Rocky
Posted By: dem440c

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 04:07 PM

Personal preference I guess but I think the mini starters are better than the stock starters in every way possible. They spin the engine faster, sound better, disengage and stop almost immediately (no waiting for the thing to wind down and stop spinning if the engine didn't catch the first time), are lighter, smaller, more clearance to the exhaust, and as I will explain below are cheap and long lasting if you buy the right ones. I have (no lie) at least 10 mini starters currently in use on both small and big block engines. The big block ones I just pop off that extension thingy and they fit fine, no grinding.

As far as where to get them- I bought one from MP years ago and it crapped out, I've bought a couple from parts stores over the years and one of them crapped out (replaced under warranty and still working today), but most of them I get from a pick n pull yard for around $20, find them on 90's era v8 truck and van (used factory units). These are the freakin shizzle as far as I'm concerned, they seem to work forever and they will whip a hot or high compression engine over no problem. Nuts to the expensive store bought pieces.

For the O.P., try disassembling it and check that the internal connection from the main electrical power lug is connecting to the solenoid. It should split internally to send power to the main body windings and the solenoid. Try jumping it there to see if it pops the pinion plunger out. It's either the connections or the solenoid itself, it's not real complicated to figure out once you see how it is constructed.
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 04:59 PM

Quote:

That's why I use the stock boat anchor starters on everything.....plus they sound better than those new ones

I would have to disagree with you on this one. The stock "Boat Anchors" require more current draw and perform less effectively than the mini-starters. I won't even touch the fact that header interference with the stock starters is a PITA. Come on...step up to the 21st century and start running those mini's....
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:06 PM

I've got 3 minis, SmBlk and BigBlk, Auto, 4spd factory bell, Keisler Bell, all running PowerMaster minis, no mods, no grinding, bolt on
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:08 PM

Quote:

My 65 with 440 has a scattershield and remaned mini.No grinding and it been in at least 10 years.The kids 62 300 has a Source min and fit perfect.Rocky

I've used junkyard ministarters on /6,sb and big block with 130/143 Lakewood scattershield with 130 tooth flywheel and 143 tooth flywheel and never had to grind on the starter.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

This is odd. I have never had to modify any starter to fit any Mopar. I have had mini style stock replacement units, aftermarket higher torque units and standard OEM ones.
I do have to remove that extender for my Charger 440 to clear the block.

Yea whats up with that? I have them on a 440, 383 and 3.9 V6 all with no grinding.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:17 PM

It's interesting that some had to grind and some didn't need too. I had to grind a little on my 440 block with an Ultra bell in front of my 2 wire 518. Stock mini from newer a 92 1 ton van. It fit the Ultra bell just find. It didn't take much grinding on the block though.......just in the u shape part of the block around the starter.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:38 PM

Quote:

It just hit me that its a 4-speed

all mine have been auto

got a pic of where your doing this grinding at?

block? starter?

Hogged away a lot on the block around the starter housing area. Still too snug for comfort in my opinion but I didn't want to poke into a water jacket. Also did some light grinding on the stater, but I'm afraid to go too crazy on it.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

For the O.P., try disassembling it and check that...

Test benched it and it works perfectly. It's gotta be the fit. Just gotta....
Why do so many fit and some don't???

I'm going to go back in and do some touch up.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 06:26 PM

Damn C1 ...doesn't ANYTHING go-right ferr U ? ...
Posted By: dartman366

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 07:18 PM

For what it's worth, I had to change out the dinosaur starter on the motorhome last summer, keep in mind it has header's on it so it is not an easyjob to change, got a mini starter from a 80's(i think) dakota tried it and it would not fit for crap, hit the block and the terminals were in the wrong spot' 1 mounting bolt would not engage the thread's ,,took it back to Car Quest and exchanged it for a 90's full size 360 truck and fit like a glove, can even snake it thru the headers to swap it out, and it looks just like the one on the race car that I bought from Mopar Performance years ago, maybe you are using the wrong style.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/08/11 08:56 PM

Quote:

but most of them I get from a pick n pull yard for around $20, find them on 90's era v8 truck and van (used factory units). These are the freakin shizzle as far as I'm concerned, they seem to work forever and they will whip a hot or high compression engine over no problem. Nuts to the expensive store bought pieces.

I would have sprung for the junkyard finds, but the lifetime warranty and nationwide availability of replacements made it worth the extra $80-90. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and do a lot of driving. And being in the military moves me around a lot. If this thing ever craps out on me, whether 1 yr from now, or 10 years from now, I'll never have to buy one. Just mosey on over to the nearest autozone and make a trade. Thats worth it to me.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 12:06 AM

Quote:

got a mini starter from a 80's(i think) dakota tried it and it would not fit for crap, hit the block and the terminals were in the wrong spot' 1 mounting bolt would not engage the thread's ,,took it back to Car Quest and exchanged it for a 90's full size 360 truck and fit like a glove,

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....
Let me check this out more. I thought a mini starter was a mini starter...
You just jarred a few ancient memory cells.
Wasn't there a Denso and a Nipon-sumthing?

Quote:

Just another day in my wonderful life.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 12:25 AM

To have that much starter trouble something cant be right. Are both bell dowels in place? If they are missing or even one that could be the reason the starter fits poorly and the others short lived. Auto or manual tranny?

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 12:35 AM

Quote:

To have that much starter trouble something cant be right. Are both bell dowels in place? If they are missing or even one that could be the reason the starter fits poorly and the others short lived. Auto or manual tranny?

Dowels??? Ain't no stinkin (alignment) dowels.
Manual tranny.

PLUS, now I'm really $%$# off.
The top pic is the mini starter from Amazon - $72
The bottom pic is my Mancini unit - $129

Absolutely no one to blame except myself.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Ain't no stinkin (alignment) dowels.

There are two stinking dowels between the bellhousing and motor.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

got a mini starter from a 80's(i think) dakota tried it and it would not fit for crap, hit the block and the terminals were in the wrong spot' 1 mounting bolt would not engage the thread's ,,took it back to Car Quest and exchanged it for a 90's full size 360 truck and fit like a glove,

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....
Let me check this out more. I thought a mini starter was a mini starter...
You just jarred a few ancient memory cells.
Wasn't there a Denso and a Nipon-sumthing?

Quote:

Just another day in my wonderful life.

They are all a Nippondenso design(Japanese)it's just that some rebuilders and cheap Chinese copies don't have the proper clocking of the nose cone.I still have the $30.00 swap meet Dakota V-6 starter on my 493
I just replace the contacts when I get one and you're good to go for a few years
Still a factory used starter is better than an aftermarket re-build.The only way you can be sure to get a good one is to buy a "factory Mopar" part number or deal with Denso direct out of Detroit
Gus

Attached picture 6575580-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yah, Iknow that and of course both dowelss are there. Reread the way he wrote the question. It inferred that there were dowels 'tween the starter and the B.H.
I'll do the whistling around here. LMAO

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 03:46 AM

.. .. ...
Posted By: court9155

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 03:58 AM

Ur havin such a hard time that I had to do a little sympathy whistlin for ya!

Sux man. Let us all know what the issue is/was when you get it figured out..

Dan

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

I'll do the whistling around here.

Maybe if you quit whistling you could fix your problem......Word of advice. You cant expect what you dont inspect. Something is wrong and you have to be overlooking something. Thats a lot of starters to go through.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll do the whistling around here.

Maybe if you quit whistling you could fix your problem......Word of advice. You cant expect what you dont inspect. Something is wrong and you have to be overlooking something. Thats a lot of starters to go through.

HE is either or .... what else would you expect from a SELFprofessed curmudgeon ?

Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:01 AM

Quote:

I would have to disagree with you on this one. The stock "Boat Anchors" require more current draw and perform less effectively than the mini-starters. I won't even touch the fact that header interference with the stock starters is a PITA. Come on...step up to the 21st century and start running those mini's....

These cars were built with those "20th century" starters. Sure the OEM units are a little tougher to get in and out, but I have NEVER had a problem with fitment isses with headers out of all the cars I have had. I have a pile of the mini starters laying in my shed. I refuse to use them. I dont want my Charger or my Fury sounding like a Nissan when its turning over

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:13 AM

Stan, the pics you posted of the Mancini starter, is that a pic from Mancinis file or the one you tried to install?
If that's the starter you have, remove the BATT + cable lug and the black plastic housing it's attached to. There's another lug under it you can hook the BATT + cable to. The lugs plastic housing interferes with a freeze plug boss, take it off and your home free.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:22 AM

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT TILL IT IS

Ya' BETTER pull this sig off your posts when talkin' to Ollie ....he follows THOSE "directions" really well !

JUST kiddin' Ollie ... ....or am I ?? ... ...

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:23 AM

have you tried to removing the dowl pins for the bell housing to aline the starter first?

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:56 AM

Quote:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - FIX IT TILL IT IS

Ya' BETTER pull this sig off your posts when talkin' to Ollie ....he follows THOSE "directions" really well !

JUST kiddin' Ollie ... ....or am I ?? ... ...

Doc, looks as if the old geezer fell asleep and is missing all this valuable info we're giving him.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 06:01 AM

The old geezer ....

What a life he has ..... getting up at 11ish .... taking naps between CL searches .....

THEN he about having to go into-town to cash his fat pension check ... ...

WE should all BEE so lucky ...

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 01:36 PM

Quote:

Stan, the pics you posted of the Mancini starter, is that a pic from Mancinis file or the one you tried to install?
If that's the starter you have, remove the BATT + cable lug and the black plastic housing it's attached to. There's another lug under it you can hook the BATT + cable to. The lugs plastic housing interferes with a freeze plug boss, take it off and your home free.

Cecil: That lower pic is mine. And yes, I removed the extension part. I just put in back on for the picture.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 01:38 PM

Quote:

have you tried to removing the dowl pins for the bell housing to aline the starter first?

I'm not falling for that one.

Quote:

I don't need your sarcasm. It started off as a simple question on whether there was anything more I needed to know (I did my due diligence FIRST by Googling and searching). The thread took on a life of it's own. I've replaced more starters than you've changed underwear. I'm not worried about figuring out what happened here.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 02:05 PM

He is alive ..... Hay Geez .... wasssupy ? ..

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 03:55 PM

Quote:

I've replaced more starters than you've changed underwear.

By reading your post and the un-ability to correct your starter problem I would not argue with you on that statement.

FYI there was no sarcasm in my replies. I was trying to help. My comment on you cant expect what you dont inspect applies in a majority of unsolved issues.

Good luck. You have Doc F for support.
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These cars were built with those "20th century" starters. Sure the OEM units are a little tougher to get in and out, but I have NEVER had a problem with fitment issues with headers out of all the cars I have had. I have a pile of the mini starters laying in my shed. I refuse to use them. I don't want my Charger or my Fury sounding like a Nissan when its turning over

As it is your prerogative to do so... Just for the record though...the newer mini starters that are from a 90's era MOPAR do not sound like a Nissan during turn over. More like a fine tuned and efficient MOPAR sound...At least it does to me...

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

FYI there was no sarcasm in my replies. I was trying to help.

Then I sincerely apologize.
Doc got me cranked up this morning.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 07:06 PM

So, you did bench test it and it works fine?

Is it possible for you to install the starter and have room to use the same procedure you used when you bench tested it (i.e. bypassing the car's wiring/starter relay)?

You have a second set of eyes to help you?

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 07:54 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice if when you put some d'bag on your ignore list that it wouldn't allow them to open or reply to anything the ignorer posted ?
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

As it is your prerogative to do so... Just for the record though...the newer mini starters that are from a 90's era MOPAR do not sound like a Nissan during turn over. More like a fine tuned and efficient MOPAR sound...At least it does to me...

What Nissan sounds like THIS ??

I'm one that had no fitment issues either. I used a mini starter off a '90's van.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice if when you put some d'bag on your ignore list that it wouldn't allow them to open or reply to anything the ignorer posted ?

Hay RoadToad .... d'bag ? ...I know you are .. but what am I ?

And what ever happened to you ignoring what I say? .... or is it that you just can't stay-away from getting your own garbage thrown back in your face? I could go on-and-on about how I have spanked-you and shown others what a true d'bag YOU ARE ... but I will use YOUR exact-words to show all what a "MR Personality"(not!) you are .....

""""" Same here , in general people annoy me just with their breathing """" ...

You did not put in-there a or a . You are a true anti-social malcontent. And many MANY of your posts prove that.

Now as far as C1 and what he said. We have jabbed each other almost done since day one ...and all done in fun(at least I thought it was). THIS time ? ... it is obvious to me that he is not taking it that way. Is he having a bad-day ?

If so ...I am sorry if it is for him. ....

But YOU ? ... I look-FORWARD to a with you. I have previously SPECIFICLY avoided posting on a topic that you are on. NOW I look forward to it.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/09/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These cars were built with those "20th century" starters. Sure the OEM units are a little tougher to get in and out, but I have NEVER had a problem with fitment isses with headers out of all the cars I have had. I have a pile of the mini starters laying in my shed. I refuse to use them. I dont want my Charger or my Fury sounding like a Nissan when its turning over

I will give you $20.00 each for them pluss shipping for that"pile" of starters
Gus

Attached picture 6577127-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I could care less what it sounds like when it's turning over. The sound after it starts is what matters

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 01:08 AM

Quote:

I could care less what it sounds like when it's turning over. The sound after it starts is what matters

With a 'tude like that DK .. you are not a true Mopar guy ...

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 03:11 AM

WHOA!
Calm down people.
Doc and Ihave been breaking ea. other's stones all in fun. Just 2 guys with spending too much time on the internet. My time on the web just happens to be more fun than his because his library has a porn filter.
Now, back to the starter.....
S
Some more Googling brought up an issue talked about in several forums that hasn't been brought up here. Some people have found the nose cone not machined correctly and causing a misalignment. I'll do a little shaving and I'll report back.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

Doc and Ihave been breaking ea. other's stones all in fun. Just 2 guys with spending too much time on the internet. My time on the web just happens to be more fun than his because his library has a porn filter.

I'll do a little NAPING and I'll report back.

His LAST LINE is "fixed" !

...and I have not been to the 'brary in quite a while ... since the foxy 'brarian is gone ....

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 12:47 PM

Hey Doc, we all know you and Commando1 just joke with each other, so, any chance you PMed a Moparts member and convinced him to post this?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 01:16 PM

Quote:

Hey Doc, we all know you and Commando1 just joke with each other, so, any chance you PMed a Moparts member and convinced him to post this?

YIKES, i've been busted!!!

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 02:37 PM

Quote:

What ME ? ... .... seriously NO ... but I beez liken' that guy !
Posted By: ToddP

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 02:39 PM

I have seen starters spin on the bench, but not turn over the engine.

The clutch pack behind the nose gear is weak. I have seen many nippondenso/chrysler starters with this problem.

Try a different starter, to confirm.

Return new starter.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

I have seen starters spin on the bench, but not turn over the engine.

GOOD POINT TP .... but anything that C1 has .... is so weak you could spin-it-over with a speed-bar

...and YES .... I am just gettin' WARMED UP ...on a rainy Sunday morn' ..

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 03:27 PM

Quote:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 03:30 PM

THAT's all you "got" RoadToad ? What a candy @$$. Now go cry to your mama and block me again .....

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

You remove what you say ? ...Ahhh RoadToad .... so does this mean you wanna' be Buds ?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 07:25 PM

I thought that I was the only one that annoyed people.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 07:41 PM

JOHN: Got To your room!
DOC: GO STAND IN THE CORNER!
Sheesh. Time out for both of you.

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I mentioned above, I found several hitswhile Googling the problem that said that sometimes the nose cone wasn't machined properly causing the Bendix to hang up. HELLO!

I shaved a little off the nose cone and it works perfectly.

Now you all know a little bit more about mini starters than you did yesterday.

62 and still learning.

Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 07:57 PM

i think you need to summarize your findings. what starter worked, what grinding and where were actually necessary??? i'd like to switch to one of these when mine goes bad. (i'm glad you resolved it and i hope you didn't get pi$$ed at me poking fun at you)
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 08:46 PM

Quote:

JOHN: Got To your room!
DOC: GO STAND IN THE CORNER!
Sheesh. Time out for both of you.

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I mentioned above, I found several hitswhile Googling the problem that said that sometimes the nose cone wasn't machined properly causing the Bendix to hang up. HELLO!

I shaved a little off the nose cone and it works perfectly.

Now you all know a little bit more about mini starters than you did yesterday.

62 and still learning.

Yep, I see mine doesnt seat all the way either. I am waiting till I have the inspection shield to see if it sits flat then. If it dosnt I'll have to do the same thing.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 09:00 PM

Maybe it was necessary for me to grind on my nosecone. After it was in I thought that maybe I had done it unnecessarily, but maybe I did need it because mine looked like yours on the nosecone before grinding. Either way, mine works, and Im glad you got yours working.

How do you like it compared to the original?

roe

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/10/11 09:06 PM

Quote:

i think you need to summarize your findings. what starter worked, what grinding and where were actually necessary??? i'd like to switch to one of these when mine goes bad. (i'm glad you resolved it and i hope you didn't get pi$$ed at me poking fun at you)

1. Buy the mini starter from here, not Mancini or the Mopar specialty houses. This place is $78 shipped vs 150 elsewhere. Same starter:

http://www.startersalternators.com/product/A17573N?gdftrk=gdfV21352_a_7c598_a_7c1745_a_7cA17573N

2. Remove the plastic encased terminal extensions. Wire your cables directly to the starter.

3. Check fit and function.
If it doesn't work, grind down the housing a/o block where they interfere with ea. other.

4. If that doesn't work, grind down the nose cone.

The cables going to the starter may now be too short and rub up against the exhaust. Just do whatever adjustment you have to do there.

And no, you can rib me all you want.

Quote:

How do you like it compared to the original?

When hot, my engine wouldn't crank. Now no hot start problems.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/11/11 01:25 AM

I had the same oversize nose cone problem with a starter I bought off ebay. The guy said he sold many of those starters with no problems. When I measured the end it was larger then the original. He took it back and I ended up buying a rebuilt starter from autozone. It fit perfect. I wish I would have read your post earlier I may have saved you a lot of trouble. Mike
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/11/11 02:25 AM

Not trying to be a pain, I just am one.
The thing is Roe mentioned grinding the nose on the bottom of the first page and no one seems to have taken notice. Roe you are probably right as you needed to grind it in the first place.
Some thing made you think it needed it.
Glad it is all worked out and I will never use anything but what I can make work cheap. Denso nissan China or mopar. Don't forget that the auto industry always used several vendors, and went with what was cheapest first and what was available last. I would not be surprised that our beloved machines came with [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] and Chineeeze parts when new.I do remember that a mopar starter was a love it or hate it thing in thge 70's and I still love 'em. That's just me.

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/11/11 01:57 PM

Quote:

The thing is Roe mentioned grinding the nose on the bottom of the first page and no one seems to have taken notice.

Quote:

On mine ...I ground on the tip of the nose cone....roe

Posted By: dem440c

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/11/11 02:34 PM

hmmm, maybe that's why I've used so many and never had a problem, I've bought 90% of them from the junkyard so they were already on an engine and working. Good tidbit of info there though.

Glad you solved your problem
Posted By: JeepJimmy

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - NOTHING! Fixed. - 04/12/11 12:58 AM

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-545-new-do...66-snd0088.aspx
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/12/11 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With a 'tude like that DK .. you are not a true Mopar guy ...

Sure...keep believing that one. I don't run points distributors anymore either. I am a horrid person

Re: What did I do wrong on my ministarter - 04/12/11 11:17 PM

Quote:

I am a horrid person

Roger dodger - those are YURR words .. not mine ..
© 2024 Moparts Forums