Moparts

I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid?

Posted By: shanker

I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 05:55 PM

I need to do a flush & fill on my 70 Coronet R/T and I'm planning on ordering a PAIL of transmission fluid. I've used Shaefers in the past after reviews on Bobsistheoilguy forums and have been VERY happy with it...

But what do I put in my 727? The car has about 130K miles on it and I dont know if the tranny has ever been serviced, but the fluid has NO burnt smell and is a good *color* of red.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 06:59 PM

I'm curretnly running Havoline Type F in mine. Its behind a 500 hp 451 with a 10" 3500 converter.... Seems to be doing just fine.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 07:03 PM

The consensus here is usually a Type F style. There are so many to chose from though. I run Redlines Type F.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 07:23 PM

Type F is supposed to have better lubricating properties and helps firm up the shifts.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 07:35 PM

Type F. Running it for years.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/05/11 07:40 PM

Type F
Posted By: shanker

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/06/11 01:11 AM

hmm.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/204_transmission_fluid.html

I gotta find out if its Type F compatible..
Posted By: cogen80

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/06/11 01:25 AM

Quote:

Type F is supposed to have better lubricating properties and helps firm up the shifts.

i thought it was grittier (sp?) which is supposed to firm up the shifts. in my opinion thats an oldhead thing. with the materials and parts they have now type f is not needed. dextron is fine.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: I've done a search, but what is the best tranny fluid? - 04/06/11 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i thought it was grittier (sp?) which is supposed to firm up the shifts. in my opinion thats an oldhead thing. with the materials and parts they have now type f is not needed. dextron is fine.

Type F, Dextron, Mercon etc all have basically the same lubricating properties but have different friction modifiers. The friction modifiers cause the clutches to slip a little on engagement and lessen harsh shifts. Type F has less friction modifiers and therefore shifts are firmer. Ford designed their transmissions around that fluid that is why a Ford with Type F shift like a Dodge with Dextron, but a Dodge with type F shifts firmer.

Be cautious of the newer fuids because they are loaded with extra friction modifiers and are very slippery. The lockup convertors are very harsh on lockup if you don't have them. Some of the newer transmissions require CVT fluids and such.

For older stuff like ours I like type F. It is as close to the Dextron II that they were designed for as you will get these days. Often mix it with the current flavor of Dextron.

My
© 2024 Moparts Forums