Moparts

Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap?

Posted By: charger

Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 02:25 PM

So I went to the parts store to buy plugs for my 440ci edelbrock headed motor in my c-body. Motor is occassionally sprayed 150, and I use an MSD ignition with a blaster 2 coil and good plug wires (ignition system is good).

Plugs on my old NGK split-fires were gapped .50. All they had this time in stock were platinum plugs. I've 'heard' that they should be gapped further out since they require less voltage, and gapping them the same will result in less spark. Any advice/experience?
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 02:47 PM

I don't think you want to use platinum plugs if your spraying. Nitrous can cause damage to the plugs and you may end up with small particles in the cylinders. I've also read they can cause intake manifold explosions. If you run em, keep your finger off the button.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 05:26 PM

Platinum plugs are a harder plug and not as easy to light off. A big no-no in boosted applications, so I would ASSume a no-no with spray. I wait to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 05:55 PM

....great, guess I'll be returning these. Hope they take them back.

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 07:35 PM

ok, got a set of TR5-1 018-3640-8

NGK V-Power; are these ok? If so what should I gap them at?
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 07:50 PM

With the MSD, I'd gap them at .050.

Re: Platinum Plugs (all they had); what to gap? - 04/05/11 08:05 PM

is this an ok plug to run? I'm spraying about 150, most of the time driving regularly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums