Moparts

440 casting dates

Posted By: J code Chargers

440 casting dates - 04/05/11 03:51 AM

What would be considerd the "general rule of thumb" when it comes to casting dates versus build dates for a 1970 model year 440? Has anyone seen a block that was cast 5-6 months before the actual SPD of the vehicle?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 440 casting dates - 04/05/11 09:56 AM

I seem to remember that The Mopar Action Gurus believed that the casting dates should usually preceed the Car by no more than 2 months and often no less than 2 weeks. There were exceptions though I guess.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: 440 casting dates - 04/05/11 12:06 PM

The major exception would have been during "changeover" (June, July, August) when the foundries were still producing but car production was held off for the new model usually introduced in September. I know because I was there.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 casting dates - 04/05/11 02:10 PM

Quote:

What would be considerd the "general rule of thumb" when it comes to casting dates versus build dates for a 1970 model year 440? Has anyone seen a block that was cast 5-6 months before the actual SPD of the vehicle?

Even though the beginning of the end of HI Performance was on the horizon they were still building HI performance cars pretty regularly. The thought of a couple months is more in line with what I have seen , but casting date is less important that the engine assembly date , but a flag can be thrown up if there is a long time between casting and assembly , it does happen but is not frequent .

Are you trying to confirm an original engine or are you looking for a date correct block for a car you own ?
Posted By: J code Chargers

Re: 440 casting dates - 04/07/11 07:27 PM

I am looking at a car that is reported to be all matching numbers, but I am double checking casting dates versus assy dates.
Thanks for the answers guys.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 440 casting dates - 04/07/11 07:51 PM

I have seen several 70 440 HP blocks that were cast 3-4 months ahead of the engine assembly date. My 3/5/70 SPD 70 GTX has a block cast date of November 1969....the exhaust manifolds & water pump housing were also from November. I would not be surprised to see even wider spreads in cast dates versus assembly dates.
© 2024 Moparts Forums