Moparts

New motor loud valves...

Posted By: 64dartsb

New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:09 AM

I just got the cam reground by crower. The cam card says set the lash to .18 intake and exhaust. I did that and they still sound kinda loud when it heats up. I just drove the car like 6 blocks on the slow hill in front of my house. The motor also has lash caps on it to correct the roller rocker/valve tip geometry. Could that be making the extra noise? I'm thinking I should adjust the valves tighter but how tight?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:20 AM

need more info, aluminum heads? Did you run the valves hot or cold? Cam specs?

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:35 AM

steel heads. I let the motor warm up. It was in park and the water temp was prolly around 210 the rockers were hot when I set it to .18 but I haven't driven it around then adjusted right after. This was my first little drive in it.

I don't have the cam card with me, I will have it tomorrow. But it's .522 107 lobe center installed straight up. solid crower lifters
Posted By: dOc !

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:54 AM

If those lash-caps are loosey ... that SURE COULD be the reason for the noise.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 12:02 PM

Quote:

I just got the cam reground by crower. The cam card says set the lash to .18 intake and exhaust. I did that and they still sound kinda loud when it heats up. I just drove the car like 6 blocks on the slow hill in front of my house. The motor also has lash caps on it to correct the roller rocker/valve tip geometry. Could that be making the extra noise? I'm thinking I should adjust the valves tighter but how tight?

did you set them to .18 as you posted, or .018? .18 would make enough noise to wake the dead.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 02:50 PM

How are you setting them up?

kasey
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 03:40 PM

I'm kind of going thru the same thing. New set-up solid roller (588) w/ stage VI heads. I set mine at .012/.012 cold. I seem to be having some noise up top I'm not confortable with. I re-check lash yesterday and it was fine. I think maybe the rockers and hitting the valve covers?? They are H/S and are reallt FAT.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 03:47 PM

Quote:

I'm kind of going thru the same thing. New set-up solid roller (588) w/ stage VI heads. I set mine at .012/.012 cold. I seem to be having some noise up top I'm not confortable with. I re-check lash yesterday and it was fine. I think maybe the rockers and hitting the valve covers?? They are H/S and are reallt FAT.

put your hand on the cover while it's running , if they are hitting you will feel it .
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

put your hand on the cover while it's running , if they are hitting you will feel it .

yeah when i get back from Tennessee Friday I will. I did notice some marks inside the valve covers...up front and at the back.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 03:58 PM

That's probably what you are hearing then.

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:39 PM

I checked them today. They're set at .018. I'm gonna have an experienced ear listen to it today....
Posted By: chargervert

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 07:44 PM

If you are running the small block Mopar Performance cast aluminum valve covers,the rockers may be hitting the baffles inside the covers. I had this issue recently with a small block with stock rocker arms.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: New motor loud valves... - 04/04/11 09:33 PM

double up on the gaskets, and it should clear up the noises. glue two together, with rtv and allow them to dry, then install as you normally would. be sure you DON'T over tighten them when you reinstall them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums