Moparts

Only a VIN...

Posted By: MoparJunkie

Only a VIN... - 04/02/11 11:51 AM

How much can a person tell about a car that only has VIN stampings? Is there a source as to tell what options that VIN had without a build sheet? I guess what I'm asking is there any type of database that could contain this info?????
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Only a VIN... - 04/02/11 01:38 PM

Quote:

How much can a person tell about a car that only has VIN stampings? Is there a source as to tell what options that VIN had without a build sheet? I guess what I'm asking is there any type of database that could contain this info?????

You can tell what model it is, what engine it has , where it was built and a time frame for when in the model year it was built . Unless someone happens to have a photo of the fendertag, broadcast sheet or dealer invoice you are SOL in finding out anything else. You aren't dealing with Ponitacs here .
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Only a VIN... - 04/02/11 02:55 PM

It depends...

If it's a pre 68, Chrysler Historical MAY have the IBM card for the car. If that was available, then yes, there would be a source to tell how the car was equipped.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Only a VIN... - 04/02/11 02:59 PM

Fords have a Marti Report.
Mopars have nothing for the late 60-mid 70s.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Only a VIN... - 04/02/11 06:03 PM

If there is a registry for the make & model, you can try them, they may have a record of the car.

Also, in at least some states if you apply for a state issued VIN tag, the new one will have the original VIN plus a state prefix.
© 2024 Moparts Forums