Moparts

THIN donut magnet .... part # ..??

Posted By: dOrk !

THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/01/11 10:52 PM

.... LIKE they put in the Mopar transmissions. ANYone have the # ...or maybe even a bunch of them that they have collected over the years ??
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/01/11 11:43 PM

here is one: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/mercha...ry_Code=A727mis
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 01:24 AM

What are you going to use it for? Inside the trans pan, or something else??

On my trans and oil pans, I just run a strong "rare earth" magnet on the outside of a rear facing part of the pan. It doesn't need to be inside the pan (or on the bottom) to work.
Posted By: west

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 01:31 AM

yeah but you would have an issue if it were to be removed.I can't see any advantage to have it outside, inside is better.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 02:32 AM

THX ferr the link 74 ..

My plans are to put them in EVERYTHING. Maybe even two of them in oil pans of a couple of motors I am putting together.

I remember an 84 Laser I had ... 2.2 with an AT. The trans was "coming apart" and acting funny. I dropped the trans pan and that little DOnut magnet in there looked like it had an...

... Afro !!

OUTside vs INside placement ? .... if it was outside and the magnet got bumped off... all that mass of metal would start floating around in bulk.

I had another thought .... how about attaching a longer magnet to the drain plug ? (like a 1/4" rod 2 or so inches long)
Posted By: Blown71X

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 03:08 AM

Part number 3681601
List for 3.10 at your local dealer
shows available at Chicago and National warehouses

Rick
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 03:20 AM

, inside is better if everything is apart. If the engine/trans is not apart, then on the outside, that's why I said place on a rearward facing part of the oil or trans pan so it would be protected from getting knocking off if you went off road. Rare Earth magnets are STRONG. In reality, even if it got knocked off, if it had been in place for a while, the pan would still be magnetic to some extent (think magnetic screwdriver).
Posted By: Commando1

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 01:39 PM

Why wouldn't you want to use a magnetic drain plug? Then you won't have to drop the pan.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: THIN donut magnet .... part # ..?? - 04/02/11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Why wouldn't you want to use a magnetic drain plug? Then you won't have to drop the pan.

that way you can see how furry it gets at every oil change and even clean off the metal particles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums