Moparts

I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives????

Posted By: NV69B7RR

I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives???? - 03/31/11 10:08 PM

My 69 RR has a cut down Dana (Dr Diff) and it doesn't have provisions for a snubber, not just the holes but the raised pads too. So my MP snubber won't work. It definately needs it because I have had the driveshaft/ yoke hit the tunnel once already. So what cheap alternatives to a pinion snubber are there? I know cal tracs will work, but thats not in the budget. Will the kicker shocks work? I thought about welding in some reinforcing plate on the floor and bolting the rubber bumpstop on there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because I'd really like to be able to powershift and lay down some rubber in my bird.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives???? - 03/31/11 10:52 PM

Stiff springs and the right shocks.I have the 3800# SS springs on my car and Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks I don't use a snubber and I don't have any issues.
Gus

Attached picture 6560723-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: dOc …

Re: I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives???? - 03/31/11 10:53 PM

pinion snubber alternatives ....

TWO WORDS ......

PROPER springs ...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives???? - 03/31/11 11:08 PM

FWIW, My Mustang had the inverted snubber setup you are thinking of. Probably cheaper than Cal Tracs or new springs.

One other thing to consider is clamping the leafs on the front half of the spring together. YOu can clamp as many as you need to stffen the front segment and control spring wrap up, assuming you don't need more than all the leafs clamped to control it. That's old school but it works to an extent.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: I need advice on pinion snubber alternatives???? - 04/01/11 02:24 AM

The snubber hanging down from the floorpan is'nt a bad idea...Also, I remember someone posted a pic of a plate that bolted to the front reinforcing webbing on each side of the pinion {which required drilling some holes for the bolts} with a bracket bridging over the pinion with the snubber on it...
© 2024 Moparts Forums