Moparts

Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps

Posted By: Neil

Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 02:18 AM

Does curing urethane paint with lamps help make the paint any more durable, or is the only benefit faster drying times for production purposes?

I have a set of steel mopar wheels that need painted body color on the outside and was curious if it's worth it to pay a shop to bake them or just let them cure on their own.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 02:48 AM

Time and a couple sunny Idaho days should cure it well. The lamps will just speed the process I think. Urethane (two part I assume) gets hard pretty fast so it shouldn't be excessivly tender after 2-3 days of air curing.
Posted By: keith airgrabber

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 04:00 AM

Baking the paint will actually make it die back and not look as glassy. It is better to always let it dry naturally when you can. It will harden the same either way. I am a master painter and painting is my job. When I paint a car at the end of the day. I will let it air dry overnight. Alot nicer results. Baking paint is only for production purposes. So you can paint multiple cars in a day ,instead of just one.

Attached picture 6559003-1964pick-up-north014.JPG
Posted By: herkamer

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 04:03 AM

Urethanes dry by 2 different methods. One is solvent evaporation and the other is cross-linking of the catalyzed components. Baking is purely for production. A few sunny warm days will do the trick.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 04:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll just paint them myself when it warms up enough. We are in the 50's and 60's, but it keeps getting cloudy and raining every other day. As soon as we get a warm and dry streak going I'll give it a shot.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 04:07 AM

Quote:

I am a master painter Baking paint is only for production purposes.

Ahhh I always thought the bulbs in a paint booth were to harden the paint & obviously they would dry it faster. Deciding whether to try barbeque grill paint or have some headers chromed. Not so concerned about looks as I am about staving off them rusting out
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 04:59 AM

All that being said, I've baked a few things now, and they turned out much better than they would air drying. Granted, it is winter, so it would otherwise take a couple weeks to cure

Hopefully my future garage will have room for a $20 craiglist oven so I can bake things and have them done now.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 05:02 AM

Quote:

We are in the 50's and 60's, but it keeps getting cloudy and raining every other day

Must........resist.........
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 05:48 AM

Just paint and let them air dry, cooking paint won't make it any more durable
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Paint curing - Air dry vs heat lamps - 03/31/11 05:56 AM

Quote:

Just paint and let them air dry, cooking paint won't make it any more durable

got it and that concept had been entrenched in my brain for decades
© 2024 Moparts Forums