Moparts

8.75 Axle problem

Posted By: Erics5th

8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 02:16 AM

The flange that goes behind the fitting the rear u joint bolts to is loose (in front of the bearing on the drive pinion), and making quite a racket going down the road at low speeds. It just spins. Is this going to be a major problem...like I need to fix it now? Or can it wait a few months till I save up some money to fix it? The axle is in my '84 5th Avenue (yes, I know it didn't come with it, friend I bought it from put it in after the 7.25 went), and I don't drive it much.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 04:20 AM

Look at the casting numbers on the third member on the drivers side under the pinion gear and post the last 3 or 4 numbers, it makes a difference on how to fix it If the third member is NOT a "489" your in luck, if it is a "489" then it takes a little more work. Let us know which one you have
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 05:45 AM

I'd b safe & sit on it till you can swap it out. Not sure if it could toss the shaft or lockup at speed but I'd get another sure grip coming & if there's any doubt about shavings I'd pull the end seals/clean the gear oil out & clean the housing but I'll defer to Kunkel for the final word

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 12:31 PM

Its a 741. Came from a '69 Belvedere.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 01:24 PM

IIRC 741 has a solid spacer so the pinion can be R&R with out any trouble

are you talking about the pinion seal dust cap that is pressed onto the yoke?

I removed mine when I had my yoke off the 742 case fixing a broken bolt

just tapped it off with a hammer and put the yoke back on

a cutoff/whiz wheel can get it off without R&R of the pinion,thats what I would do

i would replace the seal if you do R&R the yoke also

good luck

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 01:46 PM

Quote:

are you talking about the pinion seal dust cap that is pressed onto the yoke?

Yes sir, thats the one.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 02:05 PM

Have you tried getting it back in, or can't you get to it?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 8.75 Axle problem - 03/31/11 02:42 PM

If as we assume talking about the dust flange behind the rear pinion flange you could very easily fix that without removing it. Just hold in place and hit the pinion/flange join with a quick tack with a arc welder. Just a couple of very small tacks on each side will hold and doing it quickly will not create enough heat on the pinion to damage the seal or start a fire. You don't need much to hold it as it is not a loaded joint.
© 2024 Moparts Forums