Moparts

HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan

Posted By: modelmakerinc

HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 07:42 PM

Hey guys, I need the manner to clear a check engine light in my wifes 2001 3.3 l caravan. I cleaned and replaced a couple of sensors and the van is fine but I can't clear the code and it makes my wife nervous to drive any help is appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 07:56 PM

You need a code reader , go to autozone and they will do it ... but , once the fault is gone 3 cycles of the ignition , meaning start it and run it , should clear the code if it's cause is fixed .
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 08:08 PM

Put a peice of black tape over the check engine light and tell her all is good. lol I did it years ago on a couple vehicles. lol I got tired of hearing about it from drivers. lol

For 100 bucks you can get your own scanner and do it yourself, that is what I did about 5 years ago, it has been well worth it.

Black electrical tape is cheaper than a scanner though. lol
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 08:11 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I need the manner to clear a check engine light in my wifes 2001 3.3 l caravan. I cleaned and replaced a couple of sensors and the van is fine but I can't clear the code and it makes my wife nervous to drive any help is appreciated. Thanks

I don't remember the exact count right now but IF everythigng is repaired and operating as designed the code will clear itself in 'I think' 50 warm up cycles

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 08:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't remember the exact count right now but IF everythigng is repaired and operating as designed the code will clear itself in 'I think' 50 warm up cycles

50 ??? holy cow , I have an intermitent crank position censor in my 2000 Ram and I know it clears in less than 50 ???
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

50 ??? holy cow , I have an intermitent crank position censor in my 2000 Ram and I know it clears in less than 50 ???

Does it clear or does the light just go off? Some codes will turn the light off after 3 warm up cycles w/no fault,but the code remains in history.Most codes will clear after 40 warm-ups(trips) with out a fault.

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does it clear or does the light just go off? Some codes will turn the light off after 3 warm up cycles w/no fault,but the code remains in history.Most codes will clear after 40 warm-ups(trips) with out a fault.

The light goes off, which is really what the OP wants to make the wife happy . If his light is not going off then he has not corrected the problem.

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 09:51 PM

Thanks guys, I guess time will tell if I fixed the problem if in a week or so the light doesnt go out or the van acts up again I'll have to go get the diagnosic tool. Henry

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 10:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys, I guess time will tell if I fixed the problem if in a week or so the light doesnt go out or the van acts up again I'll have to go get the diagnosic tool. Henry

No autozone or advance auto nearby ? Sears has an Actron code reader , pocket size that just reads codes and will erase them for about 60 bucks .
Posted By: challengermike

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 10:53 PM

or just disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for about 1 minaute and reconnect them to the battery.
Posted By: jetdoctor_75402

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/30/11 11:58 PM

Avionics tech I work with at local airport, says to take the bulb out. Pilots don't report having a trouble light after that.

doc

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/31/11 02:02 AM

Its all good guys I would say after about 10 starts the light did not come back on. Thanks
Posted By: dartman366

Re: HELP I need to clear an engine code 2001 caravan - 03/31/11 04:36 AM

Quote:

Avionics tech I work with at local airport, says to take the bulb out. Pilots don't report having a trouble light after that.

doc

and you work for what airline????
© 2024 Moparts Forums