Moparts

440 Block / ID / Stamping

Posted By: BBCoronet

440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 02:04 PM

Picked up a 440 engine that has VIN #s (I guess)stamped at the oil pan rail but nothing on the upper pad. What gives? Not sure what the engine came from but it was freshened up and has new flat top pistons.

Attached picture 6557473-Cocktail001.JPG

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 02:05 PM

Upper pad................

Attached picture 6557475-Cocktail005.JPG
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 02:09 PM

Quote:

Picked up a 440 engine that has VIN #s (I guess)stamped at the oil pan rail but nothing on the upper pad. What gives? Not sure what the engine came from but it was freshened up and has new flat top pistons.

If the vin starts with 1G1 it is a for 1971 St. Louis built car. Probably a B body. I do not believe any LP 440 engines were used at St. Louis. So it very well may be a 71 HP motor. If the VIN # is 1C1 it could be LP or HP. Not sure why there are no stampings on the top pad.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If the vin starts with 1G1 it is a for 1971 St. Louis built car. Probably a B body. I do not believe any LP 440 engines were used at St. Louis. So it very well may be a 71 HP motor. If the VIN # is 1C1 it could be LP or HP. Not sure why there are no stampings on the top pad.

It's 1C from looking at the picture , the rods will tell him if it was an HP oor an LP if the engine is untouched from new.

As far as the top pad , whomever was supposed to stamp on the info didn't , I see an upside down A on there so it would appear the valley end rails have not been cut since it was originally built.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 03:51 PM

Looks like there's a couple of light stamped 7's up there.

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 04:19 PM

Looking at the pictures again you see blue paint under the orange , LP 440

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 05:00 PM

Its not an HP engine for sure........ I looked at it again...... "A" & "3" are the only marks on the pad. When I first found it I thought it was a Warranty block. Does a warranty block have an assembly date stamped up top?

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 05:04 PM

Quote:

Its not an HP engine for sure........ I looked at it again...... "A" & "3" are the only marks on the pad. When I first found it I thought it was a Warranty block. Does a warranty block have an assembly date stamped up top?

It SHOULD , but it wouldn't likely have a VIN with very FACTORY LOOKING fonts and be that straight across.

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It SHOULD , but it wouldn't likely have a VIN with very FACTORY LOOKING fonts and be that straight across.

The reason I asked about the build info is a guy on the WIW page has a 383 engine with blank pads top and bottom. Long ago I had a 440 block that was completely blank but I believe it was a warranty block- Not an engine.

Re: 440 Block / ID / Stamping - 03/30/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I asked about the build info is a guy on the WIW page has a 383 engine with blank pads top and bottom. Long ago I had a 440 block that was completely blank but I believe it was a warranty block- Not an engine.

I saw that one , that block was more than likely decked and the info removed in the process ..

Just an FYI ... ANYONE could saunter into a chrsyler/plymouhth/dodge dealer and just BUY a brand new block if they chose to, in that case there would be little to nothing stamped ANYWHERE.

Warranty BS is just that in most cases ... BS ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums