Moparts

Syn Blend after cam break in??

Posted By: Von

Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 03:11 AM

Is it ok to use a syn blend right after cam break in?

Ive got Brad Penn, but dont know if the rings will like a blend.

Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 03:21 AM

Many new vehicles come factory fill with Fully Synthetic motor oil... Not a problem with piston ring sealing.

CompSyn
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 03:35 AM

Quote:

Is it ok to use a syn blend right after cam break in?

I believe so & if youre getting ready for a breakin might read this (5 minutes) "breakin secrets" at www.mototuneusa.com
Posted By: jcc

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 03:47 PM

Does anybody think buying an off the shelf "blend" makes any sense vs justing mixing syn and dino together, and besides, why is the blend % never stated? What are they hiding? Kinda like buying mid octane (89?)fuel IMO.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

Does anybody think buying an off the shelf "blend" makes any sense vs justing mixing syn and dino together, and besides, why is the blend % never stated? What are they hiding? Kinda like buying mid octane (89?)fuel IMO.

They only have to blend in 5% to legaly call it a blend and the average is 10 to 15%
I always blend my own then you know you get 50/50

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

Many new vehicles come factory fill with Fully Synthetic motor oil... Not a problem with piston ring sealing.

CompSyn

Total Seal told me 1500-2000 miles or 25-30 hard passes before going to a blend type oil.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/28/11 10:32 PM

I was recommended Brad Penn Racing oil by a well known racer/engine builder for all my oil changes.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 02:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

CompSyn

Total Seal told me 1500-2000 miles or 25-30 hard passes before going to a blend type oil.

Plazma rings are not stock do as they say!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

I was recommended Brad Penn Racing oil by a well known racer/engine builder for all my oil changes.

. 4X yearly. Synthetics temp a person to go w the extended changes & it's the accum contaminates that are the prob, My
Posted By: finadk

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 04:23 PM

Is the engine a flat tappet or a roller cam? I don't see any problem if it's a roller, if it's
If it's a flat tappet I think the question becomes whether to stick with a high zinc oil or additive after beak in or once the cam is broken in if you can use off the shelf oil from the parts store either syn, blend or pure dinosaur.
Scott

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 07:04 PM

Quote:

Is the engine a flat tappet or a roller cam? I don't see any problem if it's a roller, if it's
quote]

Doesnt matter if its roller, flat, etc.....rings are what Im worried about.

Ive got plenty of zinc additive...no problem with that.

Dwayne advised against blend for a few miles/passes. So, I mixed some old stock Rotella and a specially blended dyno oil.

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

If it's a flat tappet I think the question becomes whether to stick with a high zinc oil or additive after beak in or once the cam is broken in if you can use off the shelf oil from the parts store either syn, blend or pure dinosaur.
Scott

]

By the way, you STILL have to run a quality oil or add zinc after the cam is broke in. Spring pressure is spring pressure........

I cant follow the line of reasoning that says once the cam is broke in I dont need zinc anymore.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Syn Blend after cam break in?? - 03/29/11 11:19 PM

No syntheteics for me in the hot rods, okay in the dailey drivers except my Cummins T.D.
© 2024 Moparts Forums