Moparts

I need help finding header studs...

Posted By: moparrulzzz

I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 04:03 AM

I don't know if I don't know what I am looking for or what but I need a source to find some header studs. I have stealth heads on my 440.
I know the head side of the stud needs to be
3/8 X 16. It seems there is about 3/4 of a inch of thread internally(in Head). I WANT to use all that correct? All I can find is bolts which I don't want to use or the studs I do find seem to be way to short.
Can anyone help me out here. Install is next weekend and I hate to put it off for something this trivial!!
THNX!!! Chuck
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 04:22 AM

Studs dont always work the best with headers. Why not use bolts?
Posted By: topside

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 05:24 AM

And fine thread on the header side. My local hardware stores stock them. The even have some with allen recesses in them. Or there's always McMaster-Carr. Or your favorite restoration parts supplier, if stock length is fine.
Use as many studs as possible (check tube interference) in aluminum heads. And thread sealant.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 05:33 AM

http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-rods-and-studs/=blyd6o

probably this one... 94358A320
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 07:45 AM

I believe that there is a general rule for fasteners:
The thread engagement of a fastener should be equal to or greater that its diameter/width. A 3/8 bolt should engage the threaded hole a minimum of 3/8 of an inch.
Its the same with lug nuts, at least thats been my own practice.
Posted By: rattler

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 02:18 PM

I just used set screws in my alu. heads. You can get them in most lengths and you have the benefit of being able to use an allen wrench to install them. I think i used 2 inch in mine, that way i can use all the head threads plus gasket thickness plus 1/2 header flanges plus another 1/2 or so for a lock washer and nut.Just be sure to use some anti-sieze on them. Randy
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 02:38 PM

the shouldered OE type studs by far seal the best (sealer on the coarse thread section) and can trim the outer fine threaded section till you only have enough left (mockup/measure/cut) for a thin high grade nut to fit flush as any more is a waste & hampers header fit
Posted By: moparrulzzz

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Studs dont always work the best with headers. Why not use bolts?

I guess I have always been told to go with studs, also scared to death I will over tighten them.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 06:58 PM

Quote:

I just used set screws in my alu. heads. You can get them in most lengths and you have the benefit of being able to use an allen wrench to install them. I think i used 2 inch in mine, that way i can use all the head threads plus gasket thickness plus 1/2 header flanges plus another 1/2 or so for a lock washer and nut.Just be sure to use some anti-sieze on them. Randy

Maybe not as easy if headers need to come out if the engine is in the car, but full engagement in the heads is guaranteed... E-heads here.

Mine are from www.tacomascrew.com, it was local for me, but I believe they ship also.

A search on set screws turned this up...

http://www.tacomascrew.com/products/search/set%20screw
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 08:26 PM

Bolts can be pretty lousy sometimes, but I have put on some headers where the tube is so close to where the stud would be that you'd have to feed the nut on as you slide the headers down the stud. Would make in-car R&R a huge pain. Really depends on the header design IMO.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 10:31 PM

i say just go with a set of header bolts, your alum heads have all blind holes so just use anti-sieze and you're good, much easier to install and remove than studs
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/27/11 11:41 PM

Studs are great if there's clearance to get the headers on and off, there usaully isn't.

The next best choice like what was mentioned is 12 point header bolts that are long enough. A lot of header bolts I have seen are too short, I don't know why, maybe for cheaper,thinner headers?

Reg hex head bolts won't work most of the time.

A auto part store that sell's Dorman can get you the correct size studs, you need to know what size you need though.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I need help finding header studs... - 03/28/11 12:23 AM

These are header bolts, I don't remember were I got em. But they are too short at .750" long. Even with cheap headers I don't feel there long enough. No way they would work with thick TTI header flanges. They need to be 1.00" long, header bolts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums