Moparts

69 super bee paint - HELP

Posted By: mro

69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 02:04 AM

The bee is ready for bodywork and paint. It is in epoxy primer. The guy doing the work wants to shoot acrylic enamel. I'm fine with that. Can someone help and tell me what buildable primer to get and what do I scuff the epoxy primer before I give him the car. Also what type of acrylic enamel / brand - dodge F6. Thanks!
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 02:38 AM

If he can paint Dupont's Centari have him use it. Some painters won't use it because they're used to using base coat clear coat systems that they have a hard time painting with it. Have him use a Dupont primer surfacer under it and wet sand with 360 or 400 grit. Seal with Dupont velvaseal just before top coating.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 02:40 AM

id go base/clear but thats me.
Posted By: ralphie361

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 02:44 AM

Most epoxy primers need scuffed and recoated within a certain amount of time, otherwise nothing will bite into it. I would have the painter look at the tech sheet of the epoxy to see for sure what to do with it. As far as the primers, paint etc., I am partial to PPG, but I would stick with what your painter wants to use. If he is comfortable with a certain product it is likely to turn out better, plus there are no excuses that "your paint" was the cause of any problems. Ive painted a couple of things using customers paint, and I just dont do it anymore because of the issues it can cause.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 03:48 AM

Quote:

id go base/clear but thats me.

Then your not familiar with Centari.. Wish we could still get it...
Posted By: wicked

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 07:25 AM

Don't see why he would chose an acrylic when dupont has some really nice single stage urethane, much better gloss
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 69 super bee paint - HELP - 03/27/11 07:44 AM

Quote:

Don't see why he would chose an acrylic when dupont has some really nice single stage urethane, much better gloss

Much Better Gloss?? Really? I've always thought the gloss of urethane looks wrong on older cars, my Challenger was painted in 95 & I think the gloss is plenty deep without the excessive shiny appearance of urethane..

Attached picture 6551906-2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums