Moparts

Pilot bushing

Posted By: 70duster340

Pilot bushing - 09/13/08 10:57 PM

How does one remove the pilot bushing from the rear of the crank? I take it it just doesn't slide out.
Posted By: zooom

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/13/08 11:05 PM

Some become loose enough during use to just slip out when the trans is removed. Yours, I'm sure will seem to be "welded" in.

They sell special slide-hammer attachments that can be used to grip the inner edge of the bronze bushing & then a few taps & usually out it comes.
You can also pack the crank hole with wheel bearing grease & using an old pilot shaft or sometimes a clutch alignment tool, insert the shaft into the bushing, smack it sharply with a BFH & out should come the pilot bearing...

Good luck & watch the grease!
Posted By: 70duster340

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/14/08 04:15 PM

Hmmm....sounds kinda messy with grease shooting all over. You are correct that it seems welded in. I tried just reaching in with a finger and removing it, but it won't budge. Guess I need to look for the tool, huh? Is this tool just for Mopars, or do other makes utilize the bushing as well?

Besides that, I only have a plastic clutch alignment tool that came with the clutch. I don't think that will stand up too well to a BFH!!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/14/08 04:24 PM

Quote:

You can also pack the crank hole with wheel bearing grease & using an old pilot shaft or sometimes a clutch alignment tool, insert the shaft into the bushing, smack it sharply with a BFH & out should come the pilot bearing...

I tried that once & all I got was a face full of grease.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/14/08 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I tried that once & all I got was a face full of grease.

wrap a rag around the tool under your hand against the crank to catch the grease .

the bushing is held in with a press fit , meaning its OD is bigger that the hole in the crank , if you were able to just pull it out something would be DAMAGED , never mind what damage it would have been doing to itself or the crank the hole time it would have just been spinning freely inthe end of the crank ...
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/14/08 08:12 PM

I've used the grease trick and it worked like a charm...
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: removing the Pilot bushing - 09/14/08 08:47 PM

They make a cheap tool you can get at harbor freight that works like a charm...couldn't be easier
© 2024 Moparts Forums