Moparts

Front Suspension

Posted By: jkgtx70

Front Suspension - 03/24/11 10:56 PM

I'm restoring a 1970 GTX. I'm working on the front suspension. The car has not had a front end alignment yet and the torsion bars are set on the low side and everything is tight. When I drive the car in forward only, the top of the tires tip in towards the engine. When i jack the car up the tires slowly return back to normal position. Help?

Thanks,
Joe
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Front Suspension - 03/24/11 11:00 PM

Did you just rebuild the front end?

If it is an old front end then check all the Bushings.

If it is a recent rebuild check any bushings or ball joints that haven't been replaced first.
Then check the upper control arms to be sure the pivots are tight front and back. If you just rebuilt it you did use the correct cambered bolts when you put the upper control arms in right?

If all else have somebody jack up the car while you watch for movement.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Front Suspension - 03/24/11 11:23 PM

Checkout this thread on page 3, "UCA bushings extra camber or not"
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Front Suspension - 03/24/11 11:45 PM

That's very normal. As you raise the vehicle and the suspension drops you will gain camber. Take it in for alignment or get it closer at home. If you toe is set too far in you will also pull the front end down when you move the car forward (I didn't believe it until I saw it happen, fixed the toe and the problem went away).
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Front Suspension - 03/25/11 03:33 AM

camber changes when moving the car forward or backwards while it is on the ground are not normal. I'd say either a) the upper control arm eccentrics are not tight or b) the upper control arm bushings are shot.
Posted By: west

Re: Front Suspension - 03/25/11 04:17 AM

yes,weight on or off the wheels will affect camber,not a big deal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums