Moparts

69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please

Posted By: otto37

69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/23/11 11:23 PM

I have a 69 Superbee, 383 Auto car, that I bought with an already in place front disc brake conversion. The calipers appear to be a factory chrysler part. So the car is stock drums in the rear, discs in the front. It has a manual master cylinder.

THE PROBLEM: You have to stand on the pedal super hard to make it stop. Can someone give me some suggestions please.

Thank you, Mike
Posted By: anlauto

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/23/11 11:32 PM

Wow..That's crazy..I'm doing the same conversion RIGHT NOW on a 70 Super Bee 383 4spd.

The only question I would have....When the conversion was done did they switch the proportioning valve ? How about the master cylinder? Did they use one for disc brakes?

These are the things that I plan to change....I hope I don't have the same issue
Posted By: otto37

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/24/11 12:38 AM

My guess is that it still has the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve, but, I'm not really sure what I should be looking at as far as part numbers, etc. I'm hoping someone can tell me what master cylinder and proportioning valve I need, and maybe who I should call to get the right parts.

Thanks, Mike
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/24/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

My guess is that it still has the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve, but, I'm not really sure what I should be looking at as far as part numbers, etc. I'm hoping someone can tell me what master cylinder and proportioning valve I need, and maybe who I should call to get the right parts.

Thanks, Mike

There is a DISTRIBUTION block that all the lines connect to , it is the same in 1969 for disc and drum brakes , there will be a valve in the line going to the rear brakes on a disc brake car. , does it still have the drum brake master cylinder in it , if so there is the first part to be replaced .
Posted By: Q5Bee B5ScatPack

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/24/11 05:39 AM

Go to Napa or wherever you get parts from and ask for a 1972 charger power disc brake MC.
As far as the propotioning valve,it is easier to go with the aftermarket adjustable one than the repop factory DBPV.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/24/11 07:28 AM

The drum brake master cylinders are easy to spot. The reserviors are almost the same size for the front AND rear.
Most if not ALL apps for rear drum/front disc master cylinders have a front reservior that is easily 1 1/2 times the size of the rear. This alone should tell you which type you have.
In some cases, the brake pedal lever has TWO holes for the pushrod that presses into the master cylinder. MANUAL brakes use the upper hole for better leverage, while power brakes use the lower hole.
I had a 73 Challenger that was front disc with a manual master cylinder. It was a pisser to stop. My 67 Dart with an identical setup was fantastic. The Challenger MAY have had a defective prop/combo valve though. THAT car sat in a field for years before I bought it.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 69 Dodge Superbee Disc Brake conversion help please - 03/24/11 12:33 PM

Ive done a few conversions.I use 69 C body manual masters.I have one on my 65 and one on my kids 62 300. they stop great even at 120.Check the pads also.Make sure they arent glazed or cheapies.I run ceramic pads on my front rotors.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums