Moparts

440 Timing question

Posted By: indytex96

440 Timing question - 03/22/11 01:09 PM

Ready for my reassembly after swapping cams, and have a couple questions. I am just going to line the dots up on the timing chain so top gear at 6 oclock, bottom gear at 12 oclock, correct? Slot in dist. drive gear lined up straight front to rear? Lastly, if this is all correct the distributor rotor should be pretty close to #1 to fire? Thanks for any advise!!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 Timing question - 03/22/11 01:32 PM

#6 will b ready to fire & best is to clock inter gear so the cap firing order/plug wire location is OE for standardization. I then turn the crank slightly CCW so you're at 10BTDC then line up the nearest reluctor blade dead on w the magnet and the rotor is under (or very close to) #6 w the vac can in it's correct general OE location (has room to b turned). FYI some dists have rotor to tang phasing way different so the OE slot to b parallel in the top of the inter gear info does not always apply
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 440 Timing question - 03/22/11 01:56 PM

what he said and some distrib caps have #1 marked however do not use that to start your firing order.
Dist rotation on small block Mopars - clockwise
Dist rotation on Big block Mopars - counterclockwise

The distrib cap here is for a SB as the rotation is clockwise. It will work on a BB and they make BB distrib that can be used on a SB.

Attached picture 6543198-distributor-cap-rotor.jpg
Posted By: indytex96

Re: 440 Timing question - 03/22/11 02:48 PM

So I am correct about lining up the dots, but your saying it's possible the slot will not be parallel with the crank?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 440 Timing question - 03/22/11 03:21 PM

Above is correct that when the dots are together at 12 and 6 oclock, distrib should be set to fire cyl #6. The slot on int shaft should be very close to parrallel to crank with dots together.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 440 Timing question - 03/22/11 03:24 PM

oh yes dot to dot...6:00 top gear 12:00 bottom gear. You might have to turn the crank some so the bottom gear is "straight up"
© 2024 Moparts Forums