Moparts

Harmonic balancer removal

Posted By: indytex96

Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 12:27 AM

Tried to remove the balancer on a 440 and cannot get the bolt to budge! Tried a little heat and plenty of breaker bar and nothing. Any tricks out there for this? I am going to get an impact tomorrow and try that, but I've removed plenty and never had one this tight!
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 12:30 AM

Find a pipe to go over the breaker bar and make it longer.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 12:33 AM

Put a socket and breaker bar on it. Position the bar against the frame and have someone bump the starter over. Be carefull bar needs to hit the top of the left frame rail or bottom of the right.
Posted By: JonC

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 12:51 AM

Use an impact gun to take it off it's ok. To put it on NO!!

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 01:11 AM

I have tried a long bar on the breaker bar and even tried the starter trick. Any good ideas on how to hold the engine from turning over other than wedging a nail bar in the teeth on the convertor as its a bear to hold? Should I try more heat?

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 01:30 AM

Stupid question, but the bolt is counter-clockwise like normal for removal, right?
Posted By: tmef

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

Put a socket and breaker bar on it. Position the bar against the frame and have someone bump the starter over. Be carefull bar needs to hit the top of the left frame rail or bottom of the right.

If that doesn't work.........well IDK??

It is right hand thread. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Harmonic balancer removal - 03/21/11 01:40 AM

Quote:

but the bolt is counter-clockwise like normal for removal, right?

yes, jack the front end up so you have room for a long cheater on the breaker bar. I wouldn't do anything w the flywheel teeth
© 2024 Moparts Forums