Moparts

polishing glass

Posted By: rbstroker

polishing glass - 03/20/11 02:07 AM

I have pretty deep scratches and acid rain etch marks on my rear glass as well as some milder ones on my windshield. Anybody try some of the products being marketed? What kind of results?
Posted By: Dads426

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 02:22 AM

The polishing kit from Eastwood works pretty good. It's a hard felt buffer (shaped like a holle saw, but solid on the bottom) and a powdered polishing agent that is mixed with water. Had a deep & wide scratch in the Challenger windshield and cleaned up pretty well. Scratch was very deep, wide and hazey, so it is clear now but still distorted due to the depth.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 03:01 AM

Windshields are a bit easier to polish as they are laminated glass. Tempered glass is EXTREMELY hard and a tough as nails to polish. I would recommend finding a replacement.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 08:30 PM

I bought one of the Eastwood kits to use on side / door glass.

COMPLETE waste of money,,,,, IMO.

Did nothing more than clean up the haze , which you can do with a buffer and/or a white scotchbrite pad.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 08:38 PM

I've never tried this but I've heard White Toothpaste works. It wouldn't cost much to try it.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Windshields are a bit easier to polish as they are laminated glass. Tempered glass is EXTREMELY hard and a tough as nails to polish. I would recommend finding a replacement.

Yeah , if it a side glass or rear glass and its really bad Dont waist money on the Eastwood kit. Most glass is avail new these days.
Posted By: 70RT27N

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

I bought one of the Eastwood kits to use on side / door glass.

COMPLETE waste of money,,,,, IMO.

Did nothing more than clean up the haze , which you can do with a buffer and/or a white scotchbrite pad.

I spent several hours trying to remove a few scratches from my rear quarter glass. Not time well spent. At best the glass was a little clearer, but still scratched.
Posted By: JonC

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 10:29 PM

Barkeepers Friend.
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
Posted By: IronWolf

Re: polishing glass - 03/20/11 11:31 PM

I concur with GTX - I spent a lot of dough on Eastwood's kit - followed directions religiously, made a mess , and it didn't work. Pissed I am - Yoda.
© 2024 Moparts Forums