Moparts

E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed

Posted By: faud88

E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/19/11 09:18 PM

I recently took over a restoration of 70 Challenger R/T SE orig 440 car, now with 426 Hemi and 5 Speed Keisler Setup. I have some issues with the motor mounts on the Hemi and need some expert advice on what I need to do to correct it. The engine and tranny are in the car but I really need to insure the motor and tranny are in the correct places. The car has a correct Hemi K-Member but as you can see in the pictures the motor is sitting way low on the drivers side and is not all the way down on the passenger side. Do I have the correct mounts? Can I correct the problem with out pulling the motor back out?

Attached picture 6538465-passengerside.jpg

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/19/11 09:20 PM

More

Attached picture 6538469-grillehemi.jpg

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/19/11 09:23 PM

From up top

Attached picture 6538472-uptop.jpg

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/19/11 09:28 PM

driver side

Attached picture 6538478-driverside.jpg
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/20/11 07:30 PM

Are you using an original Hemi K-Frame and engine brackets?
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/20/11 07:59 PM

engine trans assembly is supported at 3 points (2 engine & 1 trans mount)which means it should always settle down on all three. It can't be hanging in the air on 2 mounts - Something must be holding up that pass side.
1) is the pan hung up on the k frame
2) is exhaust, headers etc clear of T bars
3) Is the stud on the pass insulator IN the hole on the pass engine bracket, or is it hung up underneath the bracket?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/20/11 08:14 PM

My b-body fits tight. I would take that left bolt out. Raise the motor and get the right side to go in place as you lower it. With the bolt in as you have it there is no way the right side will drop in...
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/20/11 08:24 PM

also check that driver's header - can't tell from picture but it looks like maybe it's wedged under your ps box, which might not let the engine settle down on the pass side

Re: E-Body Hemi Engine Mounts - Experts Needed - 03/20/11 09:14 PM

Are you using an original Hemi K-Frame and engine brackets? Yes and Yes

1) is the pan hung up on the k frame - No all clear
2) is exhaust, headers etc clear of T bars All Clear
3) Is the stud on the pass insulator IN the hole on the pass engine bracket, or is it hung up underneath the bracket? It is resting on the mount not in the hole.

I appreciate the help. I think the best thing to do is pull the motor back up as suggested and get the right side down on the mount. Hopefully all will drop into place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums