Moparts

fan shroud questions

Posted By: nobrakesneeded

fan shroud questions - 03/19/11 08:34 PM

I had a small block (basically stock)built by a shop to install into my street rod. After about 1000 miles, the motor has developed a loud lifter knock upon start up and at speed after driving about 10 minutes.

When the motor was installed I had a single electric fan mounted to an aftermarket aluminum radiator. The single fan would not cool the motor in traffic so I added a second, both pullers. These fans were mounted to a sheetmetal shroud loosely based on a Be Cool setup I had seen on a blown big block car. The setup cooled the car as expected.

THe engine builder is convinced the fans and shroud are cooking the motor and wants a conventional motor driven fan and standard shroud installed before he commits to replacing the lifters under a very generous warranty.

What are your experiences with stock vs. aftermarket fan/shroud setups?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: fan shroud questions - 03/19/11 08:44 PM

If I had paint peeling on the hood, it wouldn't have anything to do with my worn out tires.
The above makes just as much sense as your situation. Even a overheating engine will not make a lifter or cam go bad, That is an oiling or "cam break in" issue.
Good luck with the fan shroud though.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: fan shroud questions - 03/19/11 11:37 PM

Quote:

After about 1000 miles, the motor has developed a loud lifter knock upon start up and at speed after driving about 10 minutes.

what's your oil psi (at both places)
Posted By: nobrakesneeded

Re: fan shroud questions - 03/20/11 12:41 AM

oil pressure is constantly between 70 and 75 psi.

When the issue was first discussed with the builder, I was told the lifter noise was possibly a result of an oversized lifter bore allowing excessive movement.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: fan shroud questions - 03/20/11 02:56 AM

It's certainly not a lack of PSI . I would see what you have for preload on em & press down on each of the rocker arms (the pushrod side) w a wooden hammer handle while it's idling & see if you can isolate the bad one (or ones) (it'll get quieter). One or more of the lifters may have went bad but I'd check preload 1st
© 2024 Moparts Forums