Moparts

Advancing Timing

Posted By: Moparmaniacc

Advancing Timing - 03/19/11 04:56 PM

I didn't want to jump on the other timing post going right now, so here's a question.

With the exception of one light advance spring replacing the heavy one, I have a stock distributor in my 400. The problem is, no matter how far I advance my timing, I can't get it to ping or kick back on the starter. When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful?

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding? I don't have a welder.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Advancing Timing - 03/19/11 11:00 PM

Quote:

When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful? no

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding?

JimG the JB weldmaster swears by it and he's from your area (virginia). I tried it once on that & it came loose on down the line but evidently I just dont have the knack for it. I'm sure there is some steel in a tube or something similar that will work. I've seen some of those 2 part epoxies and they're as hard as nails. I would get the 4 subsystems of your dist spot on (in order) initial/total (38 in your case)/springs/vac adv (2 parts)
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Advancing Timing - 03/20/11 06:16 AM

FBO sells a plate that goes over the shaft to limit the total travel of the curve
Posted By: indytex96

Re: Advancing Timing - 03/20/11 03:46 PM

Quote:

I didn't want to jump on the other timing post going right now, so here's a question.

With the exception of one light advance spring replacing the heavy one, I have a stock distributor in my 400. The problem is, no matter how far I advance my timing, I can't get it to ping or kick back on the starter. When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful?

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding? I don't have a welder.

I agree. Tried timing mine the same way and could never get it to ping. However I had to back it off a bit as it did get to the point it did not want to start hot.
© 2024 Moparts Forums