Moparts

How to polish anodized aluminum?

Posted By: b5rr

How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 02:39 PM

I'm looking to polish my luggage rack and I think the rails are anodized aluminum. I've tried hand polishing with aluminum polish and it really doesn't do much. Do I need to remove the anodize before it can be polished, if so how?
Posted By: 440abody

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 03:06 PM

If want to polish it you will have to remove the anodizing. Now there are two ways to look at it. One is now that you have removed the anodizing the aluminum will require alot of up keep (i.e. polishing reguarly) to maintain the bright shine you want, since there is no protection on it. Second is to find a reputable anodizing shop that does bright dip, pay to have them done, and get another few decades out them looking good. Also to add to the first there are some polished aluminum sealers that would still need to applied reguarly to minimize the effects of oxidation.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 05:32 PM

If you want a correct and lasting finish, take it to one of the trim restoration guys on this site, or to a shop that does anodizing near you.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 06:55 PM

I'm not familiar with the luggage racks but I'd be making sure they are aluminum before doing anything ... magnet ??? Could they be stainless ? What they are will determine how you need to finish them.

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 08:32 PM

They're definetely aluminum, stainless would polish right up. I'd like to get them re-anodized but I'm figuring it would really be costly since the rails are 7' long each. Anyone have an idea of cost? Is there a way to safely strip them at home so I can just polish them. It's going on a driver therefore I'm trying to keep costs down wherever possible.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 08:38 PM

In the past, I have used cheapy oven cleaner (made with Lye) to remove anodizing....

Might be an option
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/19/11 09:05 PM

Quote:

but I'm figuring it would really be costly since the rails are 7' long each

Most shops have a minimum charge anyway, around here it's $100.. So its not likely to cost much more whether they're 1' or 7'. Furthermore, what's the harn in asking?!?
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/20/11 04:27 AM

Hello:
A short piece of advice...if you decide to polish your trim by yourself...find some junk trim and try polishing it to the point you would want on your car.
Contrary to what you may think or have been told alumimnum is not easy to do satisfactory. Aa buffer will easily burn it and then you have a real problem..hate wet sanding paint? wait till you wet sand trim....
Trim refinishing is kinda like brain surgery if you don't have the patience and talent to invest in it....best leave it to the professionals.

Maynard
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/20/11 04:41 AM

The Eastwood Co. sells an anodizing stripper and also the buffing supplies needed to get your job done...

Re: How to polish anodized aluminum? - 03/20/11 02:11 PM

I've made contact with a couple of anodizing places that are in the region. All are production shops and won't mess with a 1 time job.
© 2024 Moparts Forums