Moparts

What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket?

Posted By: BS23V0B178891

What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 04:13 PM

What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a gallon dip bucket?

Thanks
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 04:26 PM

Be careful with those. They do a great job, but sometimes to great a job. Carbs can get "to" clean. The butterfly shaft holes in the base plate will wear, and fill with grime over time. So when you use a carb. dip it will clean the grime out, but you'll have a big vacuum leak you'll have a problem tracking down.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 04:30 PM

CHEM-DIP is what I use.
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 04:37 PM

Quote:

CHEM-DIP is what I use.

They make that "shtuff" (yes, correct spelling) smell any better yet?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 05:42 PM

Look for a product with methylene chloride in it. Nasty stuff, very toxic but that's why it works.

Kevin
Posted By: finadk

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 06:06 PM

If you are working in a attached garage take it outside and FAR away from the house. My wife has put up with fumes, fires and small explosions but that stuff had to get off the premises RIGHT NOW ...... and I agreed 100%
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 06:23 PM

I'm not sensitive to chemical fumes at all but carb-dip stuff makes me dizzy FAST if I'm not totally outdoors with it.

And make sure to wear THICK rubber gloves, thin gloves will split open at some point and that carb cleaner WILL make your skin flake off - for about a week.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 06:34 PM

i`ve used the NAPA brand with good results. the main body(holley 4160) does not fit in the can though. i used some oven cleaner on it, scrubbed it with a tooth brush and rinsed it in a bucket of hot water. rinsing and changing the water a few times. do not leave the oven cleaner on the carb for more than 5 minutes. it came out really clean.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 06:43 PM

If you want to try a simple home brew it will work on all but the nastiest carbs. Buy a gallon (2-3 Gallons is better for coverage) of pure Acetone (Home Depot sells it), pour it all into an approriate sized METAL container with a tight fitting lid, dump all the Acetone in then add 1-2 quarts of transmission fluid and 1-2 quarts of Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid. Soak the carbs overnight or longer depending on buildup. Save some pure Acetone for the final rinse off.

*Warnings:

This fluid will likely strip any painted parts and melt or damage anything that is not made of metal (rubber,plastic, etc.).
The Acetone is bad for you and soaks into skin immediately, wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated area
The Acetone will evaporate very quickly, keep the lid on your mix or it will not work for long.

You'll be surprised at how well it works!

Posted By: Shoozy

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 10:58 PM

Quote:

If you want to try a simple home brew it will work on all but the nastiest carbs. Buy a gallon (2-3 Gallons is better for coverage) of pure Acetone (Home Depot sells it), pour it all into an approriate sized METAL container with a tight fitting lid, dump all the Acetone in then add 1-2 quarts of transmission fluid and 1-2 quarts of Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid. Soak the carbs overnight or longer depending on buildup. Save some pure Acetone for the final rinse off.

*Warnings:

This fluid will likely strip any painted parts and melt or damage anything that is not made of metal (rubber,plastic, etc.).
The Acetone is bad for you and soaks into skin immediately, wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated area
The Acetone will evaporate very quickly, keep the lid on your mix or it will not wrok for long.

You'll be surprised at how well it works!

Remember acetone has a flash point of zero degrees - keep away from sparks and flame! Are you using the brake fluid to strip paint or to hold down the evaporation? Sounds like a neat formula.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 11:09 PM

Not for paint removal specifically, it has very good "creep" and gets into very small nooks and crannies, it works well to break down most petrochemicals (as does transmission fluid).
Posted By: rss

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/18/11 11:55 PM

Quote:

CHEM-DIP is what I use.

I've used the same. Left one of the float bowls in for a couple of hours when I got sidetracked with something else. When I took it out later, most of the finish on the bowl was long gone.

Attached picture 6536968-carb.JPG
Posted By: GARAGEMAN

Re: What is the best carbuetor cleaner in a dip bucket? - 03/19/11 01:14 AM

lacqure thinner at your near by auto paint store.been using it for years
© 2024 Moparts Forums