Moparts

#3 and #4 plugs gas soaked

Posted By: ireland383

#3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 04:44 PM

What would cause only these two plugs to be gas soaked? Could it be fuel pressure too high?
Posted By: therocks

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 05:34 PM

Is the firing order correct?4&3 are next to each other on the dist.Rocky

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 05:46 PM

Firing order is correct. I just checked the float levels and they're good also.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 06:28 PM

bad wires causing no fire? valves hanging open? Sure it's gas? could be oil, intakes can suck oil, they foul the plugs then of course the gas would start to build up????? Clean the plugs, ground them and check for spark. If that's good re-instal and fire it up. Let it run for a few, drive it around the block and pull the plugs again. see if you have oil on them

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 06:58 PM

Oh it's definately gas. I'm wondering after shutdown that it's soaking the intake.
I'll try shutting down the fuel pump before I back in the garage.
Posted By: Von

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 10:21 PM

What intake?

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/17/11 11:22 PM

Quote:

What intake?

Weiand 8008 with a Holley 3310. Fuel pressure reads 8 psi. on the gauge which I think is off. I'm running the smaller Summit elec. fuel pump that is supposedly set at 7 psi. If it were too much pressure blowing past the needle and seat wouldn't more than two plugs be soaked?
I put some fresh plugs in and will take a spin tomorrow early evening and pull them after.
Posted By: SixDRacing

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/18/11 04:41 AM

run a clyinder leakage test on #3&#4. eliminate one thing at a time. trouble shoot all systems correctly, and the problem will be found.
an oil fouled plug will look gas fouled after it stops firing.

Re: #3 and #4 plugs gas soaked - 03/18/11 05:13 PM

Quote:

run a clyinder leakage test on #3&#4. eliminate one thing at a time. trouble shoot all systems correctly, and the problem will be found.
an oil fouled plug will look gas fouled after it stops firing.

Well just got back from a nice romp and pulled the plugs, all were nice and dry. Did a compression test and held the air in for many minutes on each cylinder and had 165ish across the board. The car always ran fine I just wanted to know why those plugs had so much fuel on them. They were getting spark also. I did shut the pump down as I backed into the driveway. I checked down in the bowls and there wasn't alot of extra fuel in them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums