Moparts

Electric Fuel Pump

Posted By: B1arno

Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 03:36 AM

The next step on my Street Rod project is the electric fuel pump. I am looking at the Holley HP 150 gerotor pump. It is supposed to be quieter than a rotary vane pump. I hate electric fuel pump noise so quiet is good. Has anyone used one of these pumps and are they quiet? Any other issues? I am running a 392 Hemi with 1 600 CFM Carter Thunder Series 4 BBL, street only(for now).
Thanks
Arno

Attached picture 6533979-outdoors002.jpg
Posted By: U code RR

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 04:31 AM

I've talked to people that said they are WAY quieter than the Holley Blue pumps. This guy had a Blue and did everything he could to quiet it down and finally replaced it with a Gerator and loved it!
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 04:48 AM

Nice ride!
Posted By: demon440

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 05:43 AM

Sweet looking car.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 06:23 AM

Nice hot rod! My Mallory 140 was pretty quiet.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

The next step on my Street Rod project is the electric fuel pump. I am looking at the Holley HP 150 gerotor pump. It is supposed to be quieter than a rotary vane pump. I hate electric fuel pump noise so quiet is good. Has anyone used one of these pumps and are they quiet? Any other issues? I am running a 392 Hemi with 1 600 CFM Carter Thunder Series 4 BBL, street only(for now).
Thanks
Arno

I'd think with that carb a good mechanical should do the trick. It can't move enough gas to justify an electric. Once you get a real carb on that thing you might want to look into an electric unit.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 01:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Arno

Any gerotor pump will be far quieter than any vane pump. I like the Mallorys but the Holley gerotor should be fine also.
The sump pump in my house is quieter than a Holley Blue.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
Arno

Any gerotor pump will be far quieter than any vane pump. I like the Mallorys but the Holley gerotor should be fine also.

yea, but it's also in a hole under the concrete, with a cover on it...and submerged in water
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yea, but it's also in a hole under the concrete, with a cover on it...and submerged in water

And it still kept me up half of last night. GRRRRRRRRRRRR, SHHHHHH, THUMP (Repeat about once a minute)

The point is that you can still hear a Holley Blue with open headers.
Posted By: feets

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 07:19 PM

Quote:

I'd think with that carb a good mechanical should do the trick. It can't move enough gas to justify an electric. Once you get a real carb on that thing you might want to look into an electric unit.

Grab a simple inline stock style EFI fuel pump. They will out flow the Holley pumps and are quiet.

As for the Carter, it can easily outflow a stock style fuel pump. I know my old 750 AFB was capable of doing that.

Carter bashers are no different than Holley bashers. They just stick their closed minded heads in different orifices.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/17/11 09:19 PM

I ran one on my Hemi Challenger after the mech fuel pump pushrod went bad. Great pump & much quieter than my bro's old blue holley pump. Be sure to mount it with rubber isolators. Only problem is you have to mount it vertically, so its bigger size may be a problem.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/18/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Grab a simple inline stock style EFI fuel pump. They will out flow the Holley pumps and are quiet.

As for the Carter, it can easily outflow a stock style fuel pump. I know my old 750 AFB was capable of doing that.

Carter bashers are no different than Holley bashers. They just stick their closed minded heads in different orifices.

not bashing the carter. I wouldn't run an electric pump unless the car was going to run 11.60's or better. And no need to run one on a 600 cfm carb, no matter the brand. He'd even be ok w/ a 750DP and a mech pump. but that's just my opinion. I've been doing this junk for a while and I've never had a rod or mech pump go bad yet. Your old 750 AFB probably sucked those tiny fuel bowls dry, if ya had a holley you would have been ok..lol
Posted By: B1arno

Re: Electric Fuel Pump - 03/18/11 04:20 AM

Thanks for all the replies and to those that gave to my car. OK, The main reason I am going with an electric pump is at some point I plan on using a more exotic induction. I want to get the car dialed in first and then upgrade. I am not sure what it will be at this point but could be 2x4bbls or as many as 6x2bbls. I was looking at the Holley gerotor but now will check out other brands as well. Thanks again for the input.
Arno
© 2024 Moparts Forums