Moparts

Headman shorty headers

Posted By: moparmarks

Headman shorty headers - 03/14/11 11:49 PM

For big block. Anyone use them on a B-body??
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Headman shorty headers - 03/15/11 12:23 AM

I have them on my 440 in my 69 b body wagon. The passenger side fits great. The driver's side: The #7 tube is right against the power steering box. The collector will interfere with stock auto trans cooling lines. I was able to bend mine out of the way. I used a mini starter from DB Electrical.

If you have manual steering it will most likely fit better.

Any other questions, just ask.

Oh...Happy Birthday!
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Headman shorty headers - 03/15/11 12:29 AM

.....and I also had to use a Milodon flexible dipstick and tube to fit properly.
Posted By: U code RR

Re: Headman shorty headers - 03/16/11 04:50 PM

I used em' on my 72'Sat 400/727. They worked great,much easier to get at the plugs and route the wires. Mine fit close to the PS box but didn't touch it, I had new motor mounts maybe that made a difference. You have a little bit of adjustment in the motor mount brackets if you want to take the time to adjust everything. Loosen the bolts and jack the motor up then re-tighten the bolts, just adjust every thing BEFORE you get your exhaust system welded up!

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/18/11 02:55 AM

Thanks guys. You said they'ed work so I tried a set that a friend had. This is on my 72 SSP beaterdriver.
#7 abit close to the box.

Attached picture 6535556-DCP_0027.JPG

Re: Headman shorty headers - 03/18/11 02:56 AM

And to the shock tower.

Attached picture 6535560-DCP_0028.JPG

Re: Headman shorty headers - 03/18/11 03:00 AM

Over all they fit pretty good. Like that they don't capture the starter.
Just have to drive it into town to the muffler shop and have head pipes made to connect to my exhaust.

Had a nice set of short tube full headers in there with the 383 but with the 440 they were up into the T-bars abit to much.

Attached picture 6535572-DCP_0029.JPG
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/18/11 07:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. You said they'ed work so I tried a set that a friend had. This is on my 72 SSP beaterdriver.

HEY...I like that steering coupler retainer! Where can I get one of those? The stock design has always been a pisser for me.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/18/11 10:56 AM

My friend had a set installed (by a shop) on his 73 Satellite (440 auto) and they were pretty bad. I dont know how much ov this mess was the shops fault (they were butchers) but i could see the one collector shooting right towards something (been a while, i forget) necessitating a rather extreme dogleg around it. The shop did this by necking sharply down to a 2" pipe... and pressbent it all to [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] (so bad that the car actually slowed down), but i remember looking at it and thinking there may be room to get a mendrel 2 1/2" pipe around it, should someone make the time and effort.

I have the headers now and was thinking ov using them on my 72 Charger to replace the Hooker longtubes, but i've always wondered how these Hedmans performed... I figured with some collector mods they could be a decent performance piece...???
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/18/11 11:12 AM

Are the Hedman shorties application specific or are they a generic "Tight to the block" hot rod type header? The Schumacher shorties are a true no fuss drop in BUT are much more $$ than Hedmans. (The Schumachers are like steel manifolds- very thick beefy construction)

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 07:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

HEY...I like that steering coupler retainer! Where can I get one of those? The stock design has always been a pisser for me.

Can't remember who is making them. Picked up a couple at the NATS. They are awesome.

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 07:33 AM

Quote:

Are the Hedman shorties application specific or are they a generic "Tight to the block" hot rod type header? The Schumacher shorties are a true no fuss drop in BUT are much more $$ than Hedmans. (The Schumachers are like steel manifolds- very thick beefy construction)

Yes they are the hot rod block huggers. Probably will have to put a kick at the collector.
I'm going to go ahead and use them. Want my car on the road. They are alittle closer to the plugs than the full Headmans or Hooker S/C. Thats the big issue with headers on a BB. Burning up exspensive plug wires at the plug boot.
Posted By: rattler

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 02:05 PM

I bought a no-name set of polished stainless off e-bay a couple of years ago. The plug boots are going to be really close. I guess i will find out when i get the body back on. Randy

Attached picture 6537763-Oldtruck009.jpg
Posted By: RonP

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 02:15 PM

Don't want to get way off track, but getting ready to put a lowdeck 451 in a 73 Satellite and was looking at the headers that schumacher offers

They look pretty pricey, but are supposed to be an absolute perfect fit. Anybody run these and have opinions?
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 02:40 PM

Quote:

Don't want to get way off track, but getting ready to put a lowdeck 451 in a 73 Satellite and was looking at the headers that schumacher offers

They look pretty pricey, but are supposed to be an absolute perfect fit. Anybody run these and have opinions?

My brother went with Schumachers in his Duster 440 project. They install easily..EASILY. Plug changes are not hard although one or 2 plugs require the plug socket with a wrench on the hex. His engine is estimated at under 450 horsepower. Schumachers are not gonna make/support the power of TTIs or fenderwell hookers BUT they are zero headache to install and future starter access/removal is not a problem. BTW- He used Remflex gaskets and has not had a leak since installation in 06.
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/19/11 04:24 PM

If you are going with a shortie style header why mess with the center dump style on a stock bodied car? They are designed for a street rod application although I have seen a set on a pick-up truck, 440 engine, that needed just slight notching of the upper frame rail to work. Hedman makes an Elite series header that is routed much better and actually works well on a milder engine combination.
The steering coupler that was shown, from what the original manufacturer said, is no longer in production and is currently not available.

Re: Headman shorty headers update w/ pics - 03/20/11 12:39 PM

Quote:

If you are going with a shortie style header why mess with the center dump style on a stock bodied car? They are designed for a street rod application although I have seen a set on a pick-up truck, 440 engine, that needed just slight notching of the upper frame rail to work. Hedman makes an Elite series header that is routed much better and actually works well on a milder engine combination.
The steering coupler that was shown, from what the original manufacturer said, is no longer in production and is currently not available.

To get me out of a jam. Friend has the shorties.
No time or money to go searching for headers right now, not for the no budget driverbeater.
© 2024 Moparts Forums