Moparts

833 input shaft looseness...

Posted By: 440newport

833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 01:59 AM

Might be a dumb question, but how "loose" should a 833 input shaft be out of the car? I know it's only supported on one end, but mine can wobble around pretty good, if it didn't hit the insides of the bearing retainer it could move around a lot more. Could the bearing be bad? Turning it over by hand all seems smooth but I guess that doesn't proove much.

I was gonna run it in a car as-is, but now I'm thinking about having it checked out, or maybe rebuilding it myself.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 02:04 AM

My 18 spline was pretty loose too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 02:42 AM

The one in my 1st Mopar, a '68 GTX 440/4sp/4.10 dana convertible had side play at the end of the input shaft you could measure in 1/16"ths & dont remem any related noise from that area but it was loud
Posted By: pacifica

Re: 833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 02:57 AM

The couple I have seen were loose also. If yours is hitting the bearing retainer, I think that is too loose.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 03:41 AM

They're always pretty loose. Keep in mind that you're seeing movement at the end of a shaft that is about 10" away from the bearing. The movement at the bearing is minimal. That slight movement at the bearing is enough to tolerate factory bellhousing alignment (or mis-alignment) tolerances without smokin' the tranny.
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: 833 input shaft looseness... - 03/14/11 06:59 AM

Quote:

They're always pretty loose. Keep in mind that you're seeing movement at the end of a shaft that is about 10" away from the bearing. The movement at the bearing is minimal. That slight movement at the bearing is enough to tolerate factory bellhousing alignment (or mis-alignment) tolerances without smokin' the tranny.

Exactly. Both the input shaft and manshaft are supported in only one place, and the nose of the main fits into the rear of the input, which acts like a lever.

In other words, if you wiggle the input, you'd see the rear of the mainshaft move.

When it's all installed, it's all good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums