Moparts

Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong?

Posted By: Lee446

Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/14/11 12:24 AM

Took the car to a out of town car show/race at a small 1/8 mile track. 69 Sat, 528 Hemi, 727, BFG drag radials. There were a few issues with the track prep, did burnout, launched hard with good bite, but about 30 ft. out, broke the tires loose a bit but drove thru it. Lined up a while later, launched with good hookup, but about 30 ft out,trans acted like it hit neutral, no forward in any gear, but maintained reverse. I backed up all the way to my trailer and winched it on. All my years with T/F's, I never broke one before! I have a good trans shop that has always done my work and the owner was a Chrysler line mechanic for years, knows TF's. I will call him monday, but I am curious as to what actually happened? If it matters, it already has a bolt in sprag. There is also no outward damage, leaks, etc. but does whine loudly when in reverse. Any thoughts on the amount of damage I'm looking at? Thanks!
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/14/11 12:30 AM

SOUNDS like to me you broke the sprag. CHECK for trash in the pan.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/14/11 12:54 AM

Unless you put in an A+A or COAN super/ultimate sprag a bolt in sprag is not going to save anything other than the outer race from spinning in the case. That said did you try it in manual low , assuming you have a low band apply VB , if it doesn't moved forward but has reverse it sounds like you smoked the rear clutch .
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/14/11 01:25 AM

It basically has the factory valve body reworked , but fully auto. This is a street car. Tried all forward gears, no joy. I am curious as to what caused the failure, buy I guess that will come out at the autopsy! Hopefully all is repairable.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/14/11 01:41 AM

Tire shake will take one out fast.
Posted By: ARMY01

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/15/11 03:54 AM

we did this one time. the part that holds the clutches broke around the shaft and let the shaft spin free
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torqueflite craters at strip, what went wrong? - 03/15/11 04:13 AM

Quote:

we did this one time. the part that holds the clutches broke around the shaft and let the shaft spin free

He wouldn't have reverse if that happened , you are saying the part around the input shaft broke ?

Lee , why did it happen , can say what parts are in the trans ???
© 2024 Moparts Forums