Moparts

4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped?

Posted By: MadMopars

4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 04:49 AM

I was just curious as to what means the factory used to section out a floor pan to accomadate 4 speeds. I just removed a floor hump from an A body floor pan (year unknown 67-69 maybe) and it appears as though the original opening in the floor pan was stamped as it has very sharp crisp lines. My Dad had mentioned he had removed a floor hump from a 69 B body years back and the opening in the floor pan appeared to have been cut out with a torch. He said it had the original black sealer around the floor hump and had stitch welds holding it in place both which seem correct to an original 4 speed car. I am curious as to what the factory method was for the cutting the floor pans for 4 speed applications. Torched or stamped? Anyone have some light to shed on this?
Posted By: dcr

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 05:00 AM

My 64 coronet had a torched out hole and I dont believe chrysler was alone in doing that as i had a 75 camaro that was the same way.I did clean up the edges a bit .

Attached picture 6527422-Picture001.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 06:08 AM

In 2007 I bought a 74 Duster from a local guy for $1500. This car was a real turd. I named it the ROACH. Wiring was a rats nest. 1/2" thick bondo over most of the LH quarter. Crappy pop up sunroof, Interior looked like a pack of badgers had a fight in there. NON running 318....but it was the FIRST V8 manual trans Duster that I ever saw for sale. I was mesmerized and I had to have it. I did everything to make the car right, then sold it and actually made a small profit. It was originally an automatic, but some scumbag converted it to a floor shifted 3 speed. When I pulled the floor hump to use in the FrankenDuster, I intended to use the floor cutaway as a pattern. Uhhhh... No, not a good idea. It looked like it was cut out with an axe. The floor hump barely covered the butchery.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 06:37 AM

Quote:

No, not a good idea. It looked like it was cut out with an axe. The floor hump barely covered the butchery.

I see I'm not the only one thats seen this guys handiwork.... My 68 Coronet R/T vert was born a floor shifted auto... When the original owner blew the transmission apart with a 5000 rpm neutral drop he decided to upgrade to a 4spd... I'm not sure if he used a hatchet or a hand grenade but what ever it was it wasn't pretty..

Attached picture 6527533-interiorbefore.jpg

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 06:38 AM

I decided to go back to the floor shifted auto... so...

Attached picture 6527536-interiorafterjpeg.jpg
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 08:10 AM

Wow. You could have just patched the hole, but the lengths that you are going there are impressive. Thats the mark of a man with integrity.

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 04:44 PM

I had the donor metal, it really isn't that hard to do it the way I did.. So why try to cheat... My Falcon wagon I might do a patch, a real deal Coronet R/T vert.. I'll do it right..
Posted By: rattler

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 05:20 PM

I bought a 71 Barracuda vert several years back, the cars was an original console auto ,but some guy had changed it over to a 4-speed. When i pulled the console to figure out why you coudn't change gears, i found that he had used an "A" body trany and used the pivot bolt in the shifter to hold it to the side of the tunnel. Randy
Posted By: 440beep

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

I was just curious as to what means the factory used to section out a floor pan to accomadate 4 speeds. I just removed a floor hump from an A body floor pan (year unknown 67-69 maybe) and it appears as though the original opening in the floor pan was stamped as it has very sharp crisp lines. My Dad had mentioned he had removed a floor hump from a 69 B body years back and the opening in the floor pan appeared to have been cut out with a torch. He said it had the original black sealer around the floor hump and had stitch welds holding it in place both which seem correct to an original 4 speed car. I am curious as to what the factory method was for the cutting the floor pans for 4 speed applications. Torched or stamped? Anyone have some light to shed on this?

its was stamped in giant press
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/13/11 05:37 PM

Quote:

In 2007 I bought a 74 Duster from a local guy for $1500. This car was a real turd. I named it the ROACH. Wiring was a rats nest. 1/2" thick bondo over most of the LH quarter. Crappy pop up sunroof, Interior looked like a pack of badgers had a fight in there. NON running 318....but it was the FIRST V8 manual trans Duster that I ever saw for sale. I was mesmerized and I had to have it. I did everything to make the car right, then sold it and actually made a small profit. It was originally an automatic, but some scumbag converted it to a floor shifted 3 speed. When I pulled the floor hump to use in the FrankenDuster, I intended to use the floor cutaway as a pattern. Uhhhh... No, not a good idea. It looked like it was cut out with an axe. The floor hump barely covered the butchery.

This answers the question HOW ?

Along with the many after it ???

It should have been STAMPED out
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/14/11 02:37 AM

The early '60's cars were torched out. I'll dig out some '63 T85 car pics. Later were stamped.

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/14/11 08:02 PM

1963 hump cut-out... Very crudely done and I'm sure no two pans were the same

Attached picture 6529796-1963Savoycutout.jpg

Re: 4 Speed floor pan openings, torched or stamped? - 03/14/11 08:03 PM

From the top with the tunnel in place, it looks a-ok

Attached picture 6529798-1963maxie1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums