Moparts

Quietest best performance muffler suggesions?

Posted By: Airgrabber

Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/17/08 04:35 AM

I have flowmasters and they are rather loud in the cabin area. Any suggestions on something quie ter without compromising performance.?
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/17/08 06:56 AM

Cherry bombs. May not be quietier, but at least we could then hear your car in CA!

I think thrush makes a nice muffler or dynamax for a little more rpm use.
Posted By: TexasStroker

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/17/08 07:07 AM

I've never been a fan of flowmasters...you are probably referring to the resonance that is inside your car.

If you simply want to eliminate the "drone" but keep it loud on the outside, check out some of the flowtech offerings...Extremely under-rated mufflers imo

Likewise, you might be happy with the simple Dynomax Super Turbo...If you really want to keep the flow going look into their UltraFlo line...

Check the mfg sites for clips (should have idle, drive-by, and in car)...Find one you like and then check back here to see if a member has them on their Mopar.

Also what is your engine combo...headers...pipe size...exit location etc? All of these might influence your decision.

Hope that helps a little...
Posted By: ramman16248

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/17/08 02:15 PM

I bought the flowmaster 50 suv series. They are prety quiet inside and out. (I was a little disappointed at first that they weren't louder.) I had a buddy drive it so I could hear it from the outside, and I think it sounds good when you land on it, just quiet in the interior and at low RPMs.
Posted By: Darius

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/17/08 02:26 PM

I'm puttin a 5.7 in my GTX and this is what I am going to use
www.corsaperformance.com

This is based on the recomendation of the car builder that is helping me on this project. he says he had an 06 Charget R/T from a client to install a new muffler system so it would sound "badder" than the stock one. They tried 4 major brands, flowmasters,etc, and they all did the resonation thing. The Corsas made the sound right and completely eliminated the resonation.

Worth looking into after an experience like that.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 10:31 AM

Two DynoMax UltraFlo 'straight through' mufflers spaced the right distance apart
(like the resonator/muffler combo on new Ram pickups)
will be surprisingly quiet with a low rumble
and no drone at highway rpms in the 1500 to 2200 rpm range.

The key measurements are the distances between the mufflers and the length back to the tip from the second muffler.
Posted By: gd9704

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 06:07 PM

I went from 3 chamber Flowmasters to Accurate's "Hemi Repro" muffflers and haven't regreted the switch since. Nice muscular sound without the dreaded "Flowmaster Drone."
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 06:13 PM

Quote:

I have flowmasters and they are rather loud in the cabin area. Any suggestions on something quieter without compromising performance.?

Use the largest muffler case size that will fit, regardless of which brand you use. If you can fit a 21"x9" oval muffler, use it instead of a 14"x9".

Personally, the DynoMax Ultra Flow Welded are a faveorite of mine, but I tried the Thrush Welded (basically a cheaper version of the above) and they are quieter with the same basic design.
Posted By: RobR

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 06:23 PM

UltraFlows...
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 07:42 PM

Quote:

UltraFlows...

Cool vid...
Tell us more about the car!!!!!!
Ultraflows sound great...
Posted By: bschargerse

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/18/08 09:22 PM

Quote:

I went from 3 chamber Flowmasters to Accurate's "Hemi Repro" muffflers and haven't regreted the switch since. Nice muscular sound without the dreaded "Flowmaster Drone."

did you get the "Hemi High Flow" or the "standard Hemi" mufflers ?
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/19/08 12:26 AM

Unlike 98% of the folks here, I too, want a QUIET muscle car.Talk to the folks at Dynomax, I ran the 3" long case Hemi reverse flow(17769, I think)on my car and they were fairly quiet, the engineer I talked to said they only gave up 5 horses to their ultra-flows which are considerably louder. I would talk to Accurate also, I know I will next time. Nothing like staging quietly next to a loud car and stompin a mudhole in 'em. Lee.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/19/08 12:35 AM

dont get the hooker aero chamber.cruising their
not bad,put your foot in it and they'll blow your ears out.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/19/08 12:47 AM

thry all can be loud. imo feed the collector to a glasspack, and after the glasspack and axle install the muffler. or vice-versa.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/19/08 04:21 AM

Dynomax Turbo. Sweet.
Posted By: Viol8r

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/19/08 02:26 PM

X-pipe + Dynomax Ultraflows = No Droan
Posted By: minivan

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

did you get the "Hemi High Flow" or the "standard Hemi" mufflers ?

I was going to purchase the "standard hemi" mufflers from Accurate and they talked me into the " High Flow" mufflers.. I expressed to them that I did not want a loud muffler.. They told me I would be happy with the High Flow.. Wish I could tell you how they sound, but I haven't started it yet..
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 05:18 AM

DynoMax "Hemi" SuperTurbo. Simular to the regular SuperTurbo, but a bigger case and a bit quieter.
In Car Craft, about 15 years ago, it was rated as one of the best flowing mufflers, and I think the quietest when they did a muffler comparison story.

I'm Not sure if Sears still sells the Walker "Hemi" replacement muffler, but it sounded really nice too. No sure how it flowed.

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'm Not sure if Sears still sells the Walker "Hemi" replacement muffler, but it sounded really nice too. No sure how it flowed.

The Walker Quiet Flow replacement muffler for B-bodies with a big block is part #21848. The economy version is part #18230. 2-1/4" inlet and outlet. The Walker catalog list this # for both the 383 and the 440. Rock Auto has the #21848 for $49, my local Napa wants $70 each. Walker does have a $50 rebate until May 31 on Quiet Flow mufflers. I don't know if this may be a problem or not, this muffler is made to fit other vehicles too, it also fits Chevy Astro vans, and older Buick LeSabres, so it might not have that Mopar sound.
Posted By: dwbiggs

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 02:27 PM

Quote:

Dynomax Turbo. Sweet.

I love mine....get comments all the time.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 02:57 PM

Love mine too
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 06:34 PM

Yes but are these Duramax mufflers relatively quiet "inside" the car. Or do they have the same noise or drone as other mufflers, just asking? I dont like a noisy interior either. I dont mind the outside muscular sound, I just wanna hear my radio.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 08:02 PM

I have a dynomax 17769 (3" in/out) in a single exhaust app in my 5th ave. it had some drone, but once I added a 3" ID dynomax race bullet in the tailpipe it went away. for a dual exhaust app, with 2" pipes, I'd go the dynomax 17749's if you can fit them....they'll be your quietest "best performance" muffler. if you need it quieter, add a couple 2.5" race bullets in the tailpipe as resonators.
Posted By: dwbiggs

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 08:15 PM

Quote:

Yes but are these Duramax mufflers relatively quiet "inside" the car. Or do they have the same noise or drone as other mufflers, just asking? I dont like a noisy interior either. I dont mind the outside muscular sound, I just wanna hear my radio.

My Dynomax Super Turbos have no drone on my Challenger...have 2.5" pipes.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 08:22 PM

Quote:

dont get the hooker aero chamber.cruising their
not bad,put your foot in it and they'll blow your ears out.

I do remember reading a flow test and the aero chambers were at the top. If all-out performance is what you're after, they're the ticket.

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 08:24 PM

Quote:

I have a dynomax 17769 (3" in/out) in a single exhaust app in my 5th ave. it had some drone, but once I added a 3" ID dynomax race bullet in the tailpipe it went away. for a dual exhaust app, with 2" pipes, I'd go the dynomax 17749's if you can fit them....they'll be your quietest "best performance" muffler. if you need it quieter, add a couple 2.5" race bullets in the tailpipe as resonators.

Patrick,
don't you mean 2-1/2"? The 17749 is a 2-1/2" side inlet / side outlet
Posted By: patrick

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/20/08 11:08 PM

yup I forgot to type the .5 after the 2 , sorry 'bout that....
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/21/08 02:01 AM

I just had a Magnaflow stainless muffler put on my cat back system behind my 5.2 magnum. For a straight through muffler, I'm quite suprised how much quieter it is than the old flowmaster.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/21/08 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My Dynomax Super Turbos have no drone on my Challenger...have 2.5" pipes.

No drone on the B Body 440. Nice on the freeway.
Posted By: mark7171

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/24/08 09:12 PM

crazy , but someone i new had.... 4, 3 chamber quiet flow mufflers, under his car. they were "Y" ed from a 2 1/2" on each header side.

it was close to silent.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/27/08 07:38 PM

I have Thrush's version of the "flowmaster" on my dualed out 318 Fury; no cats, 2-1/4 all the way to the bumper; quieter than I expected, no drone and the sound is "behind" me; I have Goerlich's version, single 3" with the cat still there on my 97 Ram, and you'd swear that thing has open exhaust on it!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/27/08 08:27 PM

Quote:

...check out some of the flowtech offerings...Extremely under-rated mufflers imo

+1

I had Flowtech's Terminators on my 65 and it was quiet at cruise with no drone but it still gives you great sound when you mash the throttle. I will continue to use their products.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Quietest best performance muffler suggesions? - 05/27/08 08:46 PM

Dynomax Hemi Turbos on a ~700horse 517.....I live near several golf courses, I reckon I can afford to give up 5-10 hp to keep the peace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8GeXYYkKU

I believe a motor like this would be insanely loud with a straight through like the Ultraflows
© 2024 Moparts Forums