Moparts

Headers and aluminum heads, question

Posted By: gtx6970

Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 01:24 PM

I know this might be better asked in the race forum but thought to give it a try here 1st.

I need to attach the TTI headers to the aluminum Indy Cyl heads, and wondered if using stainless to attach them would be better for corrosion protection as opposed to simple plated steel ?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 02:39 PM

It wouldn't be a bad thing , I'd also put something on the threads like never seize ....
Posted By: therocks

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 07:14 PM

I use antisieze on all my bolts and nuts.I run SS bolts on my intake with Stealth heads.I run studs in the exhaust even though they are dry holes.Rocky
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 07:17 PM

If AT ALL possible...use studs, not bolts!
Posted By: 397STROKER

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 08:31 PM

Be sure to antiseeze on SS bolts into Aluminum. Straight SS with Aluminum can seeze together due to some kind of chemical reaction. Don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/11/11 08:33 PM

Quote:

Be sure to antiseeze on SS bolts into Aluminum. Straight SS with Aluminum can seeze together due to some kind of chemical reaction. Don't ask me how I know.

Use some antisieze and you won't have any problems. I have stainless header bolts on my hemi and 440, both aluminum headed.

Attached picture 6524558-wheeliepic.jpg
Posted By: ahy

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/12/11 12:15 AM

Anti-seize on plated bolts will work fine also. From the standpoint of function and durability the plated steel are just as good or better than SS because they don't have as much reaction with aluminum. Use SS for appearance.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/12/11 02:53 AM

X6 on the anti-sieze
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/12/11 03:01 AM

sounds good.

I ck local availability this weekend on either one

Thanks all
Posted By: bomber1965

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/12/11 04:32 AM

high temperature anti-seize
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Headers and aluminum heads, question - 03/12/11 02:36 PM

If you don't use anti seize, you will be putting in heli coils after removing them a few times.
© 2024 Moparts Forums