Moparts

one-man brake bleeder kit

Posted By: hemi68charger

one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 02:38 PM

Hey gang..
I found this yesterday when I picked up my new master cylinder. Has anyone used one of these? I was going to gravity bleed the brakes, but then I saw this. What's anyone's experience with this or similar kit? I don't have any of my car buddies nearby to help with this before the weekend, so I'm on my own. I wanted to get this done tonight. I have already bench-bled the master cylinder.

Attached picture 6519960-onemanbleeder.gif
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 02:46 PM

Never used one of those. I do have a real pressure bleeder that I use which is worth it's weigh in gold.

OT a little. When I was teenager, I would get my girlfriend to pump the brakes while I bleed the brakes. Of couse she didn't understand what we we're trying to do and I would get all uptight doing it. We eventually got married and then divorsed.

20 years later we get back togeather and we are talking and she says she'll do anything for me except help me bleed brakes. Out of nowhere she says this. She said it sucked so bad when she tried to help me that she advised her 2 daughters to never help to bleed brakes. She remembered how stressed I made her while trying to bleed them.

I told her no worries now I have a pressure bleeder.
Good luck with yours, looks like you have the right tool for the job.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 02:47 PM

I too am usually working as a one man band. I bought a similar kit a couple of years ago. It works great. No more brake fluid mess all over everything including the floor.

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 03:27 PM

Quote:

...I would get my girlfriend to pump the brakes while I bleed the brakes. Of couse she didn't understand what we we're trying to do and I would get all uptight doing it. We eventually got married and then divorsed.

20 years later we get back togeather and we are talking and she says she'll do anything for me except help me bleed brakes. Out of nowhere she says this. She said it sucked so bad when she tried to help me that she advised her 2 daughters to never help to bleed brakes. She remembered how stressed I made her while trying to bleed them.

Good luck with yours, looks like you have the right tool for the job.

This is the exact reason I'm not asking Kim to help me.... Don't want her to even know I'm bleeding the brakes (or anything else on the car for that matter). I want to stay married and have a good day tinkering with my Daytona...

Quote:

I too am usually working as a one man band. I bought a similar kit a couple of years ago. It works great. No more brake fluid mess all over everything including the floor.

That's good to know. I was thinking about the hand-held vacuum pumps, but I would have had to order one and they are about $60 compared to this one at $8.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 05:44 PM

i made my own pressure bleeder,plate of aluminum,a rubber gasket w/ slot in center so psi will get to both sides of resevior,and a hose in the middle of the plate. put air psi in the hose through a regulator at 5-10 psi. start at zero,and crank it up slow. i use c clamps,or whatever to fasten the plate to the master cyl. bleed a few times and ck level...works great,im always by myself.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

i made my own pressure bleeder,plate of aluminum,a rubber gasket w/ slot in center so psi will get to both sides of resevior,and a hose in the middle of the plate. put air psi in the hose through a regulator at 5-10 psi. start at zero,and crank it up slow. i use c clamps,or whatever to fasten the plate to the master cyl. bleed a few times and ck level...works great,im always by myself.

I did the same exact thing years ago...used a metal plate with a piece of flat rubber glued to it to help seal to the master cylinder.

I do have a vacuum one too (mighty vac) setup that is good in alot of situations as well.
Posted By: feets

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 05:58 PM

One word: Mityvac.

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 07:16 PM

Is this a show and tell thread? If so here's mine.I got it for free 20+ years ago from a friend who was closing his shop. It was all rusty, and he thought it might blow up from rust. I took it apart and the rubber diaphram was in great shape. Painted it and installed a new hose. Had to buy the MC adapators. Been using it ever since and I am on my 3rd hose easy and just took it apart a year or 2 ago and repainted it again.

Top half holds a gallon of brake fliud and the bottem get's pressurized with shop air.(5-10PSI). Works slicker than snot on anything. I store it under pressure with brake fliud in it and it never get's contaminated. Makes it really easy to flush old fluid out and install new at the same time. Fast and sure, helps me make money with no come backs.

I just used it a week or 2 ago on this MC that goes on a forktruck.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 08:10 PM

Quote:

You can get this at harbor freight for $40

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html
Posted By: Aero426

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 08:28 PM

I have Speedbleeders on a couple cars. They are bleeder screws that have a small spring and check ball inside. The threads are teflon coated so you won't get air leaking past the threads. Just open it up and pump away. All popular sizes available. $7 each. They are great for a track car or for bleeding by yourself.

Speedbleeder Website
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have had one of these for years. Cannot do without it. Makes brake bleeding EASY.
Posted By: 75dartcustom

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/09/11 10:23 PM

I use the one from Motive Products and it's fantastic!

Posted By: Sixpak

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have had one of these for years. Cannot do without it. Makes brake bleeding EASY.

One small tip - before bleeding the brakes wrap the bleeders in a little teflon tape - helps prevent air from being pulled past the threads of the bleeder. I close the bleeder, pull a vacuum and then crack the bleeder screw, and it pulls the fluid right through.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 02:50 AM

whats wrong with putting a rubber hose on the bleeder screw and putting the other end in a soda bottle with a bit of brake fluid covering the other end of the hose, open the bleeder screw then slowly pump the brakes?
i have been bleeding brakes this way for the last 20 years without problems.
best of all it doesn't cost you anything for the home made tool.
Posted By: BDW

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 03:03 AM

I still have the wife pump the breaks.

How exactly do you use the MityVac?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 05:18 AM

You use the little plastic jar with it, and pull a vacuum through it, and it sucks the air/brake fluid through the lines/caliper and fills the jar. Just empty it out before it gets to the top and gets sucked into the vac of course

Oh, and I used my mityvac to reverse bleed my clutch system, worked perfect for it as well!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 05:22 AM

Quote:

I do have a real pressure bleeder that I use which is worth it's weigh in gold.
OT a little. When I was teenager, I would get my girlfriend to pump the brakes while I bleed the brakes. Of couse she didn't understand what we we're trying to do and I would get all uptight doing it. We eventually got married and then divorsed.

That's funny
Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 09:05 AM

Quote:

whats wrong with putting a rubber hose on the bleeder screw and putting the other end in a soda bottle with a bit of brake fluid covering the other end of the hose, open the bleeder screw then slowly pump the brakes?

I've been doing that for years. Cheap and easy one man bleeding.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 09:58 AM

Quote:

What do you mean whats wrong? Don't you want new tools? Its always a good reason to buy stuff. Yeah, I guess your way works too, but jeez, new stuff ROXXX
Posted By: Commando1

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 03:06 PM

Quote:

Just got this same one the other day.
Still don't know how to use it though...
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 03:10 PM

Disregard the fact that this is clearly a motorcycle and you will setup your Mityvac the same way for bleeding on a car.

Make sure you've got the small length of tube in the underside of the reservoir cap.

Some like to pull a vacuum (start pumping handle) and then crack the bleeder. Some like to just crack the bleeder and start pumping. Either way, you'll do the same job.

An important note: I've used the Mityvac on a number of applications and if you pay close enough attention you WILL notice that you pull air in and around the threads of the bleeder screw. As someone mentioned, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to put some teflon tape around the threads. Just make sure you don't hang the thread too long over the seat/hole on the screw itself.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 03:12 PM

I use this one..

Attached picture 6522215-MV6838.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

The Mityvac is great for more than just bleeding brakes. I used it last weekend to check the vacuum actuators on my truck's A/C box. After reassembling the system I used the Mityvac again to check for vacuum leaks and proper function.
It came in handy when I needed to drain a contaminated master cylinder without flushing the junk through the lines.

They're good to have around the garage.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/10/11 09:44 PM

Just finished. Well, that was easy once somebody shows ya.
Not used to this new-fangled easy stuff. What's next? Some thingy with a disco light to tell you your timing?

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/11/11 06:44 PM

Hey gang..
Well, got her done.. I used a combination of old and new. I used the old-fashion way of a jar with fluid and the hose submerged in it for the rears. The jar fit rather nicely perched on the leaf springs. The front, I used the one-man bleeder system I purchased. Worked out great. For those curious, I found some brake fluid used in Formula I racing applications. Being that the engine compartment of the Daytona can get rather hot in the Summer, I wanted the extra protection of durability of this performance fluid. Last year, the fluid would get VERY hot around the master cylinder.

Attached picture 6524388-LtRear_Bleeding.JPG

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/11/11 06:45 PM

Rt Front starting to bleed.. Kit worked out great...

Attached picture 6524389-RtFront_Bleeding.JPG

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/11/11 06:45 PM

All the air gone and new fluid passing through

Attached picture 6524392-RtFront_Bleeding2.JPG

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/11/11 06:46 PM

Performance fluid I used with a very high boiling point.. It is used in racing applications like road racing and Formula I.

Attached picture 6524394-Performance_BFluid.JPG
Posted By: Erics5th

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 04:01 AM

Quote:

I have Speedbleeders on a couple cars. They are bleeder screws that have a small spring and check ball inside. The threads are teflon coated so you won't get air leaking past the threads. Just open it up and pump away. All popular sizes available. $7 each. They are great for a track car or for bleeding by yourself.

Speedbleeder Website

I use Russell speed bleeders. Love em.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 07:15 AM

Stupid question.. but do you still have to bench bleed the master if you're using a pressure bleeder to push fluid through the system? It seems like you could remove the lines and add pressure and it would blow fluid though. Then hook the lines up and continue bleeding. OR does the plunger have to move to get all the air out?

I only ask since in my cars, there's only 2" of clearance between the MC and the strut tower. Makes it a PITA to re-attach the lines after a bench bleed, meanwhile fluid is dripping everywhere, probably getting air back in the MC

I may have to fashion a plate that sits on the MC and has a connection for the air compressor

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 06:11 PM

I have always bench bleed and then mount up MC. Then push fluid through the whole system with a pressure bleeder. Never tried it dry, didn't want have to do it twice(installing a new MC)

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

I have always bench bleed and then mount up MC. Then push fluid through the whole system with a pressure bleeder. Never tried it dry, didn't want have to do it twice(installing a new MC)

For me, I "bench" bleed my master cylinder on the car. I have old front and rear brake lines that I have cut and formed to empty out into the reservoir. I just fill up the front and rear reservoirs and pump away.
Posted By: TheRamMan

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 11:56 PM

my females did not like either
Posted By: TheRamMan

Re: one-man brake bleeder kit - 03/12/11 11:57 PM

just remember pressure bleed dont work with metering valves
© 2024 Moparts Forums