Moparts

02 Grand Caravan check engine light

Posted By: 68SportSatvert

02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 03:42 AM

The check engine light in my 02 Grand Caravan, 3.8, is on and I've done everything to figure out what is causing it. It's been on for a long time, maybe a year, but I don't really see any change in performance other than a bit of a rough idle but I can barely tell. Had the code pulled and was told it is a "generic" code and is caused by the gas cap. Replaced it twice. Had one of the O2 sensors replaced. Had an issue like this once before and some of you helped me out and got it fixed. I drive it everyday and still get close to 20 mpg around town. Thoughts? Thanks!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 03:48 AM

What typically is thought of as a fuel cap code is actually a code to indicate a leak in the evap system.... The gas cap is part of that but so is many feet of vacuum hose, the fuel tank, a vapor storage tank... It won't effect drivability but if you have emissions testing it won't pass with a light on....

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 04:14 AM

RT,
Thanks!!! I was afraid it would be one of those lines... Any idea where to start? Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 04:16 AM

gas tank vent valve

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 04:19 AM

The way it's typically handled it to use a smoke generator to force smoke into the gas tank & pressurize the system... it will leak from the problem area.... A guy with Dodge dealer experience may know of a common problem area like a fitting that cracks.. Might try a google search for the failure code & your vehicle yr/make/model..
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 04:36 AM

Quote:

The way it's typically handled it to use a smoke generator to force smoke into the gas tank & pressurize the system... it will leak from the problem area.... A guy with Dodge dealer experience may know of a common problem area like a fitting that cracks.. Might try a google search for the failure code & your vehicle yr/make/model..

you also need quality scanner to command closed tank vent valve and purge valve,then start the smoke. 2001 and newer cars are nuts they can pick up a .025 pin rot hole in the filler tube. first thing i do to those is vent valve next is filler tube for tank, never had a line go on those there all hard molded plastic, the jeep still use rubber they go. or if you get water in vapor canister then it freezes it will crank inside...
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 04:41 AM

My '01 Chrysler Town & Country has the same problem (also 3.8). The light was on so long it burnt out....so I guess the problem's fixed! The light came on at about 80,000 miles and I've got close to 180,000 on it now. Still running great.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/09/11 07:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you also need quality scanner to command closed tank vent valve and purge valve,then start the smoke. 2001 and newer cars are nuts they can pick up a .025 pin rot hole in the filler tube. first thing i do to those is vent valve next is filler tube for tank, never had a line go on those there all hard molded plastic, the jeep still use rubber they go. or if you get water in vapor canister then it freezes it will crank inside...

Sounds like you still work on this stuff regularly... I haven't wrenched on cars for a living since the late 90's, I dealt with a few evap faults but it's been years & I've tried to block that stuff from my memory..
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/10/11 03:47 AM

my 97 caravan had the same evap code, I checked all the lines and hoses,changed the gas cap, I don't have a smoke machine,i did not see any cracks in the lines and hoses...had this problem for the past year or so...seems to come up during the colder weather...it just happens that my 3.3 fuel rail leaked and I had to replace it..with that in mind, the pcv hose runs in the back valve cover and it was hard as a rock and brittle to the touch...I changed the hose out with a new pcv and guess what?...all GONE...this was my fix....
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/10/11 04:00 AM

Some of the caravans have the evap canisiter under the van in front of the fuel tank, the rubber hoses that connect the lines will have cracks in the, if so replace the rubber hoses with fuel hose only and reset the P.C.M and recheck. If is not there let me know and I'll check location of the evap canister and let you know...Matt

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/10/11 12:53 PM

Thanks guys! Matt, I know where the evap canister is and will start there. I will also check the PCV valve and line as well as any other line I can find. More to come...
Posted By: Todd

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/10/11 06:51 PM

Also check the evap test port (has a green cap on it the size of a valve stem cap) located between the air cleaner housing and the engine. The hoses that are on either side of the test port crack. Also take a good look at the fuel filler tubing from the gas cap to the fuel tank. They like to rust out especialy up around the end of the tube by the gas cap.

By the way the evap canister is located on the left frame rail behind the front subframe and in front of the fuel tank.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/11/11 02:53 AM

It will probably be the LDP the leak detection pump. Pretty common on the caravan.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/11/11 04:57 AM

Thanks for the additional info! I can't do anything until the weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. Where is the leak detection pump??
Posted By: Todd

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/11/11 09:20 AM

Right underneath the steering rack on the left side.
Posted By: HemiRunner

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/11/11 01:19 PM

Common mini van evap problems are the LDP (leak detection pump) or lines. Evap canister site right under the steering rack on the cradle. Rack leaks fluid on top of it. Connections to canister are rubber & crack. Solenoid mounted to right front core support & has two lines coming off & need to be checked for cracks. One goes down towards the canister & other to the intake. Smoke & scanner are the best ways to find evap problems, but you checking all lines & connections are a good start. Also look at gas cap seal/o-ring. If dry & cracked could be the source as well.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/12/11 03:44 AM

Thanks HemiRunner! Now I have a map of what to check. Looks like I have a mission for tomorrow.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/12/11 04:01 AM

There is a hard plastic line running from the front to filler tube(you can see most of it under the van). If you follow it forward from the filler tube, you should see an elbow connection that is rubber. If it is the original elbow piece it will most likely have many cracks in it.

Posted By: rtmike

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/13/11 04:52 AM

Black electrical tape over the useless light helps too.
Posted By: Wilkram

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/13/11 09:05 PM

have a 01 Durango, had a cracked line by the evap test port. easy fix, hard to find.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/13/11 09:44 PM

I looked today and saw a BUNCH of rubber hoses connecting different hard lines. I couldn't find the leak detection pump but I didn't have access to a lift so I couldn't get a real good luck with it on jack stands. Looks like I'll have to take it to the base hobby shop so i can get a better look. I found everything else that was described. I found one end of the fuel tank vent lines but couldn't find the other. Thanks again!
Posted By: 69MOPE

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/14/11 06:13 PM

There is also a 3 inch length of rubber hose under/behind the air filter housing. The housing must come out to see it.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/18/11 04:16 AM

Took a look today when I changed the oil and had it up on the lift. OMG there is a TON of rubber lines under there! I think it would be cheaper to buy a new van than to replace them all. I did see the lines coming from the fuel vent but didn't see an elbow looking piece. I've got to get it back up so I can find some of the other lines. I need to find the leak detection pump and will start there and at the evap cannister. Thanks again!

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/18/11 12:27 PM

If you're having trouble finding the components, ask one of the guys working in the shop at the base, some may be ex mechanics, at least they were at Ft Bragg. If you check all lines & gas cap seal & don't find anything, it could be a failing LDP(leak detection pump), that is a common problem. The base may also have a scanner & smoke machine to run the tests on the evap system that you could use. To make matters worse, it could be an electrical problem, such as a broken wire at the purge or LDP or the ECM not commanding them on/off, but those are a lot less common.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/20/11 02:59 PM

Thanks! I'm not confident in the mechanics at the base after meeting them. That's why I ask you guys and trust the info you've given. Here's the latest. It's now fthowing codes 0442 and 0455. The 0455 is new and there has been a significan decrease in mpgs the last week or so. I did find some other info on another site and the person providing the info is a certified Chrysler tech. Seems the big issue on these is the filler tube for the fuel tank and it can corrode/deteriorate over time. It just so happens I have some rust starting on that quarter. One item to note is the dealer undercoated the van when new prior to me purchasing it. Yep, you gussed it, they blocked the drain hole on that side. So, I'll start there and the evap cannister lines. I did finally find the LDP but it has hard plastic lines running to/from it. Are those the lines you guys are talking about or are there rubber lines somewhere? Do those lines deteriorate over time and should they be replaced with rubber? Thanks!

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/20/11 04:02 PM

P0442 - Evap syst (small leak)

P0455 - Evap syst (lrg leak)

These can be tricky to track down without the right tools. Those hard plastic lines can become brittle over time & crack. You didn't mention, but if any fuel tank or pump wokr has been done recently, you want to check the line connections to the pump or pump sending unit o-ring. If no leaks from lines, filler tube, gas cap, etc it could be one of the solenoids not sealing properly when it is supposed to. GM's are notorious for canister vent valves not sealing or failing all together.

Re: 02 Grand Caravan check engine light - 03/21/11 02:50 AM

Hemi - Thanks again! No recent work done but I did go to the salvage yard today and look over one that's in pieces. I saw where the lines run and am going to replace all the rubber lines. It seems most of the hard plastic lines are joined by a short piece of rubber vacuum line. I'll start there and if that doesn't fix it then it's going to someone with the right tools. BTW, is there any way to test the leak detection pump?
© 2024 Moparts Forums