Moparts

TTI Hemi header help.

Posted By: NITROUSN

TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 03:39 AM

I set my hemi in place months ago and had left header problems. I had a conversion k-member and felt before I blame anything I should get a replacement. I found a very nice 69 gtx un- molested straight original hemi k-member. Well its in place and I basily have the same issues. These are the TTI 2 1/8. The right header fits good. The left has three tubes that hit either the power steering gear box or the pitman arm. Number 1 tube hits as it wraps around the box. number 3 tube touches the box at the valve to case bolt area. number 5 tube really hits the pitman and tie rods bad. It could be be back an honest 3/4 of an inch. I will call TTI but I was wondering if anyone else could shed so info on past experience. The car is a 69 charger. Thanks.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 05:21 PM

If anyone knows the deal on this issue,i'd like to hear about it also. I am getting ready to buy a TTI Hemi exhaust system to put a Hemi in a 70 Charger. If there is fitment issues with the headers,i'd rather know before I drop the $905.00 for these headers.
Posted By: Dr V

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 06:26 PM

I just took a set of 426-218 headers off of my 69 hemi RR and sold them at a swap meet. From my knowledge. the guy that owned the car before didnt modify anything to make them fit. They looked perfect. I just didnt like them. There were no clearance issues on my plymouth. Were dodge k frames any different?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

I just took a set of 426-218 headers off of my 69 hemi RR and sold them at a swap meet. From my knowledge. the guy that owned the car before didnt modify anything to make them fit. They looked perfect. I just didnt like them. There were no clearance issues on my plymouth. Were dodge k frames any different?

Did your car have power steering?
Posted By: Dr V

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 06:46 PM

Yep, original P/S, P/B 69 hemi.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 07:08 PM

What heads do you have on the engine???
Posted By: Keith Black®

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

I set my hemi in place months ago and had left header problems. I had a conversion k-member and felt before I blame anything I should get a replacement. I found a very nice 69 gtx un- molested straight original hemi k-member. Well its in place and I basily have the same issues. These are the TTI 2 1/8. The right header fits good. The left has three tubes that hit either the power steering gear box or the pitman arm. Number 1 tube hits as it wraps around the box. number 3 tube touches the box at the valve to case bolt area. number 5 tube really hits the pitman and tie rods bad. It could be be back an honest 3/4 of an inch. I will call TTI but I was wondering if anyone else could shed so info on past experience. The car is a 69 charger. Thanks.

I am running the 2-1/4 TTI's, similar setup to you (Hemi K Member). The drivers side was a major PITA. We had to dimple the pipes in several areas, I'll see if I can dig out some photo's. This is not uncommon with the TTI headers. If you search this forum you will find many similar stories of fitment issues, there is just no room, some people have tried shimming engine mounts etc.
However the TTI's are otherwise great headers (solid material / flanges overall great quality, we just modified the offending pipes and were done with it. Very happy now with the headers.

PS: Sounds like you may not be running the correct p/s steering box, Charger/Hemi's have a different exit-valve than the RB's. This would cause you interference issues.

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:15 PM

Attached picture 6516303-frntheaderrh.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:16 PM

Attached picture 6516307-frontrhheader2.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:22 PM

Attached picture 6516318-frntheaderrh3.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:25 PM

Attached picture 6516324-header4.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:26 PM

Attached picture 6516326-header5.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 08:27 PM

Attached picture 6516329-header6.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/07/11 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am running the 2-1/4 TTI's, similar setup to you (Hemi K Member). The drivers side was a major PITA. We had to dimple the pipes in several areas, I'll see if I can dig out some photo's. This is not uncommon with the TTI headers. If you search this forum you will find many similar stories of fitment issues, there is just no room, some people have tried shimming engine mounts etc.
However the TTI's are otherwise great headers (solid material / flanges overall great quality, we just modified the offending pipes and were done with it. Very happy now with the headers.

PS: Sounds like you may not be running the correct p/s steering box, Charger/Hemi's have a different exit-valve than the RB's. This would cause you interference issues.

Is you K-member an orginal Hemi k-member? Repop? Do you have conversion mounts?

Was the crank centerline in the position that TTI says it needs to be for those headers?

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

What heads do you have on the engine???

Mopar Iron heads.

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:06 AM

Quote:

The boxes are the same. There is a 90 degree pressure fitting which I have. Thats not as issue at this time.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:10 AM

wait till you try and get the small starter out, guess what you can't without removing the header, in my opinion the tti's are over priced and don't fit like they should, sell them and buy the "doug's", always have good luck with the dougs, just my .

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

Is you K-member an orginal Hemi k-member? Repop? Do you have conversion mounts?

Was the crank centerline in the position that TTI says it needs to be for those headers?

My original was converted. I then bought an original hemi k and the header fit is the same. I did measure a few months back and I am sure the measurements were in the TTI specs. It looks like I will be reinstalling the frame and gear box and remeasuring and writing the numbers down.

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:24 AM

Quote:

I am running the 2-1/4 TTI's, similar setup to you (Hemi K Member). The drivers side was a major PITA. We had to dimple the pipes in several areas, I'll see if I can dig out some photo's.

Thanks. Mine are the 2 1/8 I cant immagine what my issues would be with 2 1/4. My box contact points are almost the same as yours with the pitman being a lot worse. I will have to reassemble and get pictures.

I did talk to Sam at TTI. He was good to talk to but basicly said there is not known issues with the left side. He asked a bunch of questions and I need to reassemble and remeasure and write the numbers down. He said it could be a Keisler tko600 transmission/mount/crossmember problem. The tranny sitting to low. I need to get more info. He claims there should be 1/4 inch of clearance at all points. I am nowhere near that. I will do whats needed but I sure feel that that left header is not right.
Posted By: Blue69Charger

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 03:49 AM

I have 2 1/8" tti headers on my 69 charger with a hemi and they fit great. I have the older mopar performance aluminum heads and use the arruzza mounts. They fit great. The passenger side has one tube that is close to the torsion bar, but the driver's side has good clearance.

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 04:09 AM

Quote:

I have 2 1/8" tti headers on my 69 charger with a hemi and they fit great. I have the older mopar performance aluminum heads and use the arruzza mounts. They fit great. The passenger side has one tube that is close to the torsion bar, but the driver's side has good clearance.

My right side is close to the torsion bar but ok and I am happy with that side. Can you post pics of your pitman arm to number 5 tube area?
Posted By: Blue69Charger

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 04:24 AM

Here is a picture of the clearance. I don't remember there being any interference problems. I didn't have to clearance any tubes.

Attached picture 6517366-pitman.jpg

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 04:44 AM

I wish I was that close. I am an honest 3/4 of an inch from where it should be.
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 04:52 AM

all i can tell you is stay away from the 2.1/4 x4 out tti hemi headers i bought them when they first came out for 1966-70 b-body. they are very pretty looking but the worst fitting hemi header ever,you will make up new swear words...21/8s tti fit easy. i bought there demo set of tti hemi 2.1/4s x4 at the nats when show was over,called them up week later..[Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] pass header hits the bell houdsing,tti guy says we will make a note of that...[Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] had to modify the smallest mini starter with 11 inch bell,[Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] had to run flaming river steering box,smaller than stock manual.[Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] had to flip center link so bow goes toward pan will hit pipes on both sides if you dont.then after runing them for few years they started to rust. sold them on ebay never again... runing coated super comp hookers again
Posted By: SCATPK

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/08/11 06:12 AM

I have the 2 1/8 TTI headers on my gtx and they fit like a glove. I originally had a manual box and switched over to power and its close but all is well. Check your measurments as that is where most of the problems come from.

Attached picture 6517593-DSC02905(Large).JPG
Posted By: mickm

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/11/11 02:11 AM

i have the tti's and conversion mounts on a B k-frame. when i pulled the engine, headers fit with no problem. when i put it back in, drivers side header was hitting the torsion bar, so had to put a nice dimple in it. i upped the torsion bars to the stock hemi bars, but that is minimal compared to the the good 1/4" or so that it now needed to clear.

took some time to try and move the engine around as much as possible, but no luck, it sill hit the bar.

other than that, no problems. all in all, that was pretty minor. was able to heat the tube up and dimple it in place, just had to drop the torsion bar.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/11/11 02:23 AM

I used the 2-1/8 TTI's with the Schumacher conversion mounts. Power steering. They fit like a glove and I put no dings or even any scratches on them, first set of any brand headers that I have ever installed that that happened, we won't even talk about Hooker S/C's. I also put in 1.03 torsion bars. Header installation is always easier if you remove the bars first. The only hard part was getting all the bolts in the passenger side, it took every 1/4" extention, wiggler and wobbler I had, thought I would never get that done. I am extremely happy with my TTI's, but YMMV.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/11/11 08:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am running the 2-1/4 TTI's, similar setup to you (Hemi K Member). The drivers side was a major PITA. We had to dimple the pipes in several areas, I'll see if I can dig out some photo's.

Thanks. Mine are the 2 1/8 I cant immagine what my issues would be with 2 1/4. My box contact points are almost the same as yours with the pitman being a lot worse. I will have to reassemble and get pictures.

I did talk to Sam at TTI. He was good to talk to but basicly said there is not known issues with the left side. He asked a bunch of questions and I need to reassemble and remeasure and write the numbers down. He said it could be a Keisler tko600 transmission/mount/crossmember problem. The tranny sitting to low. I need to get more info. He claims there should be 1/4 inch of clearance at all points. I am nowhere near that. I will do whats needed but I sure feel that that left header is not right.

That's the first mention you have a Keisler trans. I thought those always tilt the engine down in the back?

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/11/11 11:32 AM

I have a T56, the engine/trans alignment is parallel to ground at ride height.

Re: TTI Hemi header help. - 03/12/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's the first mention you have a Keisler trans. I thought those always tilt the engine down in the back?

Maybe its an issue. I plan to reinstall the k-frame and do some measuring. Sam at TTI asked me for the center of the trans shaft to the tunnel measurement. Plus some other measurements as well as pitman centers. I did jack the tranny all the way up to the floor and the pitman still hit. So for now I need to get some measurements written down to be sure. I still believe number 5 tube is wrong.
© 2024 Moparts Forums