Moparts

Header Wrap

Posted By: WICKD6PK

Header Wrap - 03/05/11 05:27 PM

anybody have a favorite wrap dei etc...pros and cons of what you have used...any pics would be nice too id like to see how you wrapped your headers...having a heat soak prob and need to wrap the entire header or just the section near the starter. thanks guys!
Posted By: black64

Re: Header Wrap - 03/05/11 07:08 PM

I wrapped mine to protect the starter on my 392 hemi with block huggers to protect the starter where the exhaust pipe runs just below the starter.

Attached picture 6511832-IM001131.JPG
Posted By: ekim

Re: Header Wrap - 03/05/11 11:32 PM

I wrapped a set of headers and they retained moisture and rusted out in 2 years! And they were thick metal and expensive !!!!
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Header Wrap - 03/06/11 02:45 AM

Get your wallet. Open it real wide and get TTI ceramic thermals. Nice and cool
Posted By: topside

Re: Header Wrap - 03/06/11 05:41 AM

Why not just get a wrap for the starter? I've done that on 2 cars and it works fine.

Re: Header Wrap - 03/07/11 01:18 AM

well im runnin the dougs ceramic coated headers and ive tried wrappin the starter---still didnt work so thats why i thought id try wrapin the headder
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Header Wrap - 03/07/11 02:14 AM

Could the starter itself b the prob? Just thinking out loud
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Header Wrap - 03/07/11 02:49 AM

Quote:

I wrapped a set of headers and they retained moisture and rusted out in 2 years! And they were thick metal and expensive !!!!

I had to built a set of headers to replace the ones I custom made for my street rod. Wrapping them was a big mistake. The excessive heat retained by the wrap messes with the metallurgy and makes them brittle. You could tap mine with a hammer and they'd shatter like glass!
It only took a couple summers of driving for them to go bad.

I went to a mini starter and a heat shield... no more problems.

Rick

Re: Header Wrap - 03/07/11 02:53 AM

It's a robbmc starter ive sent it to them they said it was ok..alltho they only put it in a conv oven I know header heat gets way hotter than that so I dunnoI've ckd everything cables u name it...batt has 1100cca...heat soak is what I'm thinking
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Header Wrap - 03/07/11 03:26 AM

i'd skip the wrap,doug's say you need to use a mini starter IIRC
© 2024 Moparts Forums