Moparts

Transmission drain plug

Posted By: Mopar_Country

Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 01:41 AM

Anybody run one of the aftermarket drain plugs for the trans pan? I'm planning on installing a TF-2 in the next few weeks and thought I would throw one on the pan. Are there any to stay away from?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 02:57 AM

I prefer to put it in the side rather than in the bottom as the ones I've seen hang a bit too low & a side mounted one will get enough fluid out so you can R&R the pan WO spillage & I want to ch the filter/adj the bands as opposed to just a fluid change and a side mounted one will not let all the fluid drain but a moot point as the pan is coming off. check the (side) location b 4 you drill so you wont hit the VB
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 10:35 AM

Is it my bad luck or do they ALL leak?
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 12:00 PM

No leaks on mine.
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 01:52 PM

no leaks on mine, we did put a little rtv on the threads to help ensure a seal.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 04:04 PM

Quote:

I want to change the filter/adj the bands as opposed to just a fluid change.

This is why there is no drain plug. Made it necessary to drop the pan, might as well adjust bands and change filter. I am not saying don't use the plug, just why it wasn't there in the first place. Many people forget the transmission till it fails. Not as much of a problem with enthusiasts.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 04:06 PM

Drain plugs are nice so you don't have all the fluid in there while trying to drop the pan.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 04:24 PM

Quote:

This is why there is no drain plug. Made it necessary to drop the pan, might as well adjust bands and change filter. I am not saying don't use the plug, just why it wasn't there in the first place. Many people forget the transmission till it fails. Not as much of a problem with enthusiasts.

No .... the reasonS why was .. primary one - way back when - was that some of the oil-change-monkeys were draining the trans INSTEAD of the engine ...and then filling UP the engine with oil.

Secondary ...was that it was cheaper to make the pan without a plug.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 11:13 PM

I agree with bboogieart, the reason for omitting the drain plug was to make sure the pan was removed at each fluid change...fleet cars/trucks got a drain plug because they thought fleet mechanics would do a better job of maintaining.

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Is it my bad luck or do they ALL leak?

That's kinda what I am worried about.

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 11:29 PM

Quote:

Drain plugs are nice so you don't have all the fluid in there while trying to drop the pan.

I agree, that's why I want one, I just want to make sure these aftermarket plugs don't leak, or which is the better one.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/05/11 11:46 PM

I found a matching bolt and nut, then used a grinder to cut a groove in the bottom of the nut, and welded that to the inside of the pan.

I also found a nylon type washer that fit, so now the seal is between the bolt and the pan, and not the weld.

(Cutting the groove in the bottom of the nut allows complete drainage, vs just draining to the thickness of the nut)

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/06/11 01:09 AM

Quote:

I found a matching bolt and nut, then used a grinder to cut a groove in the bottom of the nut, and welded that to the inside of the pan.

I also found a nylon type washer that fit, so now the seal is between the bolt and the pan, and not the weld.

(Cutting the groove in the bottom of the nut allows complete drainage, vs just draining to the thickness of the nut)

That's a thought, you have no issues with the bolt loosening?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Transmission drain plug - 03/06/11 01:40 AM

Quote:

That's a thought, you have no issues with the bolt loosening?

Not yet at least

It does seep a little around the bolt though. I should try to find a better washer, but then I have to drain it
© 2024 Moparts Forums