Moparts

bleeding brakes

Posted By: geol

bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 02:41 AM

I've recently installed new brakes wheel cylinders and lines on my 72 Duster.My question is,since there is no fluid in the system should I mount the new master cylinder and fill the system before I bench bleed the new master cylinder?I am not sure if this would minimize the chance of getting air back into the master cylinder.Any thoughts?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 02:53 AM

I kinda confused at what you said there but bench bleed the master first, then the system.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I bench bleed w it in a vise then cap the ports w a pair of male inverted flare brass plugs (several $$ at your parts house in the Edelman fittings section) then install it & start on the wheels. these fittings come in VERY hand later on when isolating one half of the system from the other, well worth several bucks & if you do alot of brake work/diagnosis you WILL have a need 4 them. I've bench bled on the vehicle w the blue plastic fittings/little hoses & it can b done but it's a pain/messy
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 04:46 AM

Bench bleed then install. Either way the entire system needs bled. Start with the rear pass then rear driver then front pass finishing with the front drivers side wheel.

That help?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 05:35 AM

If it were me, I'd probably bench bleed the master, open the bleeders in each corner, hook up the lines, and let it gravity bleed until you get fluid at each corner. Just don't let the master run dry. Then you can bleed as you would normally.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 05:52 AM

The clean way to do it.... Get yourself a short length of 3/16 vacuum hose & an oil squirt can, make absolutely sure the oil can is clean.. I have one I use for this that never has anything but brake fluid in it.. They are easy to disassemble & clean, I suggest you do that... Fill it with brake fluid... Completely assemble your brake system then starting with the right rear loosen the bleeder screw & using the oil can push fluid back throught the brake line.. Doing it this way the first line only needs fluid pushed back to the T... Then move to the left rear & again push fluid back through the line but this time Your pushing it back till the master cylinder is maybe 1/4 full... Go to right front & repeat but this time your again wanting to raise the fluid level in the master slightly .. Then move to the left front & repeat....
Posted By: bomber1965

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 06:50 AM

Speed bleeders help also.....

Attached picture 6503308-sbani.gif
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/01/11 07:37 AM

Quote:

Speed bleeders help also.....

Speed bleeders are great but won't help bleeding a master cylinder...
Posted By: bomber1965

Re: bleeding brakes - 03/02/11 04:40 AM

correct.....I was just throwing them in the post because they're niffty !

© 2024 Moparts Forums